Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hello all,

I used to run my variable speed pump at 1500 RPMs about 10 hours a day in the summer and 6 hours I’m the winter. My Jandy SWG regularly gave error codes 120 and 121 but it did not affect chlorination so I never acted on it. When I first observed the code I cleaned the cell, but that did not fix the issue so I just continued to clean the cell regularly. I recently moved to running the VSP 20 hours a day at 1100 RPM, and at 1500 RPM 4 hours a day and the error code appears to have disappeared. Thoughts on whether I should still get it checked out?

Much appreciated.

120 is low current. That can be from low salt, low water temperature, a bad power cord, cell plates corroded or loose power pins. Make sure that temp is above 60, salt is 3400, power cord is good and look in the cell at the plates with a good light from both ends to see if the plates are corroded.

A 121 error can occur for a number of different reasons: dirty cell, damaged cell, bad cell cable, low salt level, cell wearing out due to age, or damaged power supply.

What is the salt level according to the AquaPure, and have you tested the salt level with a K-1766 Taylor Salt Test ?

What is your water temperature and what was it when you got the codes?

Check the cord into the cell and inspect the center prong.

450px-Jandy_Aquapure_Tri-Sensor.jpg

The prongs are sealed by O-rings and a compression plate held down by two screws. The problem is that the O-rings can leak, which creates a corrosive mix of water, salt, hydrogen gas and chlorine gas. This corrosion increases the resistance of the connection and generates a lot of heat due to the high current of 6 to 8 amps.

Reactions: crystallake
Thank you. Salt has been maintained between 3000-3500 throughout and I clean the cell pretty regularly. I test with Taylor 1766 reagents. It has never seen excessive buildup and it just turned one year old last month. I live in L.A. so water temp dips below 60 in peak of winter but codes were popping up consistently both above and below 60 degrees (until now).

I have a PLC700 so there are only two prongs and two sensors and both appear to be fine. Just to be clear, when you say ‘prong’ you are referring to the exterior male plugs that the power cord connects too, correct?

I haven’t removed the screws to the compression plate so that may be next step. I’m just confused that the codes went away when I lowered the RPMs…could be complete coincidence

I have a PLC700 so there are only two prongs and two sensors and both appear to be fine. Just to be clear, when you say ‘prong’ you are referring to the exterior male plugs that the power cord connects too, correct?

Yes

I haven’t removed the screws to the compression plate so that may be next step. I’m just confused that the codes went away when I lowered the RPMs…could be complete coincidence

I think coincidence.

Yes

I think coincidence.
Well, 1) chlorine is being provided, and 2) there are no error codes so maybe I should just put my OCD away and be happy that things are working the way they are supposed to. Appreciate your feedback. I will remove compression plates if error codes reappear ✌🏽

Thanks! About 80% of those bricks were repurposed from when we replaced the house’s foundation. It was painful watching them lay each brick one by one but it was so worth it. Your yard looks beautiful! Enjoy summer!

Reactions: Oly
Yes

I think coincidence.
Ah! I think I figured it out! After doing some more reading I learned about the chlorinator cycles. I had also been recalibrating the SWG as part of the increased daily run times so I had lowered the percentage down to 25%, which I now learned shortens the length of time that the cell is producing chlorine. The reduced time of the flow going forward means the less time that the error code would show up so I just hadn't been noticing it (compared to when it was at 60% and seemed like the error was coming up all the time).

Good news is I solved this puzzle...bad news is that the error code is still coming up...oh well

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.