Error 0021 on Pentair Superflo VS

303Michael

Jul 8, 2019
Denver, CO
I have a Pentair Superflo VS that's 5 or 6 seasons old and this season it started throwing error 0021. The error stops the pump for a while and then it restarts after a few minutes. Sometimes it'll happen every 5 minutes or less and other times it will run for an hour or more without stopping. Unfortunately, it's affecting the ability of the SWG and heater to function efficiently.

I called Pentair last week but their phone system said they had people waiting for 100+ minutes so I threw in the towel after 20 minutes. I'll try again this week when I have time to wait that long. I searched through older threads and unfortunately didn't come up with much in the way of troubleshooting. Some googling indicates error 0021 is related to a communication error but that's about all the further I've gotten.

If anyone has run into this or can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate the feedback.

From manual:
"– Communication Link between the HMI and Motor control has been lost: Check the jacketed wire on the back side of the keypad inside the drive top cover. Ensure that the 5 pin connector is properly plugged into the socket and that there is no damage to the cable."

Remove the four screws and see if the compartment is filled with water.

From manual:
"– Communication Link between the HMI and Motor control has been lost: Check the jacketed wire on the back side of the keypad inside the drive top cover. Ensure that the 5 pin connector is properly plugged into the socket and that there is no damage to the cable."

Remove the four screws and see if the compartment is filled with water.
Thanks for the feedback and sorry for the late reply. I opened it up and everything was dry. I checked the connector and saw nothing out of place.

I'd prefer to fix whatever's wrong with this unit but if it's not going to happen I'm happy to replace the drive cover or the whole drive cover kit but I'd like to be fairly certain that doing so will fix the issue before dropping $250-500.

I have a Pentair Superflo VS that's 5 or 6 seasons old and this season it started throwing error 0021. The error stops the pump for a while and then it restarts after a few minutes. Sometimes it'll happen every 5 minutes or less and other times it will run for an hour or more without stopping. Unfortunately, it's affecting the ability of the SWG and heater to function efficiently.

I called Pentair last week but their phone system said they had people waiting for 100+ minutes so I threw in the towel after 20 minutes. I'll try again this week when I have time to wait that long. I searched through older threads and unfortunately didn't come up with much in the way of troubleshooting. Some googling indicates error 0021 is related to a communication error but that's about all the further I've gotten.

If anyone has run into this or can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate the feedback.
Check the 4 pin connector between the control panel and the drive. Two wires are the power for the control panel the green and the yellow are communication between the control panel and the drive. Mine had a bad connection on the green. This will also give a code 021 fault

Reactions: 303Michael
Check the 4 pin connector between the control panel and the drive. Two wires are the power for the control panel the green and the yellow are communication between the control panel and the drive. Mine had a bad connection on the green. This will also give a code 021 fault
Thanks for the reply. Since my last post, I did seem to narrow it down to this area.

I wiggled the drive side of the connector with the harness installed and it seems to eliminate, if not significantly reduce the issue when I push the connector towards the outside of the pump. I have a piece of plastic wedged in there and it's helped a lot. Unfortunately, my impression is the loose contact is in the permanently-sealed drive side.

Has anyone been able to open that side up?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.