Equipment Shelter

scmichael79

May 18, 2020
Houston, TX
What kind of equipment protection or shelter does everyone have? I need ideas.

I am in the process of getting my equipment pad installed and was planning to construct a cover of some type to protect everything from the Houston elements. I wasn’t wanting to go totally enclosed. Just something to put a roof over it and possibly a side where the afternoon sun would be cooking it.

The equipment pad will have a 400k btu Hayward natural gas heater so I need to know what kind of venting I would need with just a roof over it.

I don't need to tell you it's hot in our areas. My equipment faces west and it gets hot. I built a small lean-to that takes all the heat off the equipment. I added some lattice for low angle sunlight and it's working really well.

My pool is also currently under construction, and I'm having the mason pour two footers around the equipment. He's only charging me an additional $200 to do so.

I plan to build two limestone walls on the footers, made from the same material as my home, but leaving air gaps along the 2nd row from the bottom. Then I'll build a wooden roof, and add shingles to it, but will have the roof about a foot or so above the tops of the limestone walls; for an air gap at the top.

My thought is it'll protect the equipment, but also blend into the home, as the grout lines of the two walls will align to the house.

It'll also provide a nice place to store the pool toys and tools.

1597319780111.png

The summer after we had our pool installed, we had this pergola built. It provides some shade for the pool equipment, and we can hang ceramics on the lattice. We do have a heat pump; the lattice roof is completely open directly over the heat pump so as not to impede airflow.

This picture was taken in the morning and you can see the sun coming from behind the pergola. But, when the sun gets higher and moves to the west, the pergola provides shade.

IMG_20180604_095649471_HDR.jpg

Thank you everyone for your replies. I definitely will need to do something. I have the west northwest sun in the afternoon right on my equipment. I need to figure out what my HOA will allow because you’ll be able to see any structure from the street as it will be on the side of my house. Even with a 6 1/2 ft tall wooden fence around my back yard. My main concern is having enough venting for the NG heater if there is a roof structure over it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.