Equipment pad enclosure/cover recommendations ?

Jameso78

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Sep 18, 2020
North Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Looking for any recommendations on pool equipment pad enclosures with top cover... I live in the country with beautiful oak trees, consequently I constantly battle leaf issues in and around my pool equipment... open to pre-fab or DIY thoughts...

thanks...James

How much room do you have? Will it be visible from where you'll hang out, or can it be ugly? Do you want to match any existing decor? How long do you want it to last? Would a sound proof enclosure help you, in terms of noise from the pump?

You'll want it big enough to get into and work around all the equipment. Also: out of sight, out of mind. Part of my daily routine is to walk past my pad. A 10 second look is all I need to make sure everything is OK: pump working, pressure and flow rate OK, filter status, no leaks, SWG and acid dispenser status, etc. If you wall it up, then keeping an eye on it becomes more of a task, performed less often.

Room is no issue, it is free standing with no other building or walls to contend with... I don't think I want any type of masonry wall, but more of either a picket or screen type enclosure... main purpose will be to keep the leaves out :)... it is a good 30+ feet away from my pool/spa, so noise or sound isn't an issue either... I do my walk around daily as well, so seeing thru a screen or picket would be ideal...

I think we're on the same page with the screen enclosure. Good visibility. Good circulation. Pickets would look nicer, but those oak leaves are tiny and are going to get through the spaces between the pickets. You could always add pickets over the screen, for aesthetics.

Five posts in concrete (one extra for the door) with some 2x4s top and bottom to support the screen. 2x4 door frame. Use fiberglass screen, or 1/4" hardware wire if you need some animal proofing and/or want it to last forever. Two of the posts would be an inch or two taller, to give the roof some slope. Then metal corrigated roofing on top. Cheap, comes in colors, will last forever, and is relatively easy to work with. Some places will even cut it to length for you, if you order it that way (Lowes did for me). You'll need a bit of support in the middle of the roof, which can be a few 2x4 "rafters." Use screws and cut the screen such so that at least one wall could be removed, so that you could disassemble it if you ever needed more access than the door allows. Bobs-yer-uncle. Probably $200-300 in material and an afternoon or two of labor...

If you wanted to get more elaborate, you could frame in some shelves with some painted plywood sides and doors to accommodate storage: toys, pool hardware, muriatic acid (chlorine should be stored somewhere cooler), and what-not. A couple of hooks for pool brush and leaf rake, etc.

Don't make it too big or too nice or the significant other will start to get ideas about how to reassess which rooms are "just for you" and which are for the both of you (meaning hers!)... ;)

Last edited:
Here's something I posted a while back on an enclosure I put together.

20171210_153302.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jameso78

View attachment 174518
Thats awesome looking! Great job!

View attachment 174518

@Jameso78
Not sure something like this would work for you. My enclosure was built using extruded aluminum sections and sunscreen. You don't need the block wall as it could be freestanding as well.
Just another option. Good luck with your project. :thumleft:
r.

Nice, MyAZPool! I really want to do something similar, at least a roof of some sort, over my pad. I don't have AZ heat, but enough. Sun bad. Shade good.

Reactions: MyAZPool
@Jameso78
Not sure something like this would work for you. My enclosure was built using extruded aluminum sections and sunscreen. You don't need the block wall as it could be freestanding as well.
Just another option. Good luck with your project. :thumleft:
r.
Very very nice!! Not sure what I will do yet, just looking for options and ideas, but most likely will be a DIY project...thanks for sharing!

Reactions: MyAZPool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.