Equipment Location

iTomHD

Sep 9, 2018
Ajax
Hey all!

I'm facing a conundrum as to where to locate the equipment (gas heater, salt generator, pump, cartridge filter, etc) in my backyard. Our yard is very small and has an existing deck (that we are not going to remove).

This leaves us with only 2 possible locations for the equipment:
A: Would require a minor variance application ($550+tax and no guarantee it would be accepted. Image below includes a mock 'heater')
B: Is not an option due to proximity of windows on the home not in the drawing
C: Is what I was looking to ask everyone's thoughts on. Locating the equipment in the shed. A 'plastic' shed from Costco (this one to be exact)

We had the gas guy come by and take a look. He said it can be installed in the shed to code. But I wanted to hear thoughts about doing so. Given it is plastic, it isn't the most sturdy thing in the world, and a windstorm could damage/take it down.

Any reasons why you might think installing it in the shed is a bad idea? Or would you say go for it? Thoughts??

Thanks!!
Equipment Location1.pngIMG_5433.jpg

Hey all!

I'm facing a conundrum as to where to locate the equipment (gas heater, salt generator, pump, cartridge filter, etc) in my backyard. Our yard is very small and has an existing deck (that we are not going to remove).

This leaves us with only 2 possible locations for the equipment:
A: Would require a minor variance application ($550+tax and no guarantee it would be accepted. Image below includes a mock 'heater')
B: Is not an option due to proximity of windows on the home not in the drawing
C: Is what I was looking to ask everyone's thoughts on. Locating the equipment in the shed. A 'plastic' shed from Costco (this one to be exact)

We had the gas guy come by and take a look. He said it can be installed in the shed to code. But I wanted to hear thoughts about doing so. Given it is plastic, it isn't the most sturdy thing in the world, and a windstorm could damage/take it down.

Any reasons why you might think installing it in the shed is a bad idea? Or would you say go for it? Thoughts??

Thanks!!
View attachment 94208View attachment 94209
Nice.... If I lived in the south or warm weather I wouldn't use a heater at all ...... option C looks great because the shed is protected by fence, deck and house.... good luck

Pool equipment is made to live outdoors. Heater requires a lot of ventilation both for air intake and exhaust. Around pool equipment can become a wet environment and you need drainage. I don’t think putting it in a plastic shed is wise. I like area B.

Reactions: iTomHD
The shed is a no go due to the above reasons AND think about the fact the pipes would have to get inside it somehow so the pad it is sitting on will have to be busted up.

You say B is a no go due to the windows. Are you worried about the noise? The new pumps are quieter than your AC unit so...........

Now if you can pull the shed out and make a set of steps from the porch down behind the shed you could put the equipment behind the shed.

Reactions: BowserB and iTomHD
The base the shed is sitting on looks like gravel. If so, piping is not an issue. Assuming you don't need security, I would modify the shed for REALLY good ventilation and use it for equipment. Your equipment will last longer being protected from the elements, drainage should be easy into the gravel, you can partially sound proof it, if you want......I can think of no downside, really.

If the shed is on a slab, that complicates the work a bit but it can still be done.

Everything but a heater is no problem. I didn't see where you said if you have a heater or not. Gas heater really no. I think manufacturer prohibits it as well as code but possibly you could install it to make everyone happy. Heat pump no way either since they need to be open to the elements.

However, that is a really good location. If inside the shed doesn't work out I would move the shed and put the equipment in that location.

I vote for B by the A/C units. Like noted in the summer your AC will be running and louder than any pumps. I like the idea of having all my mechanicals in one spot. It may also save some money on having to run power out to pumps/heaters since its near the house.
Do some nice landscaping/hardscaping around it all and it will blend in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.