Equipment for future automation upgrades

rhaymg

Jan 22, 2021
Georgia
I want pool automations but can't afford it straight away. So my thought is to set my pool up with whatever the builder provides. My question is can you please recommend what brand or models I should recommend to the builder that provide the best/simplest path for future upgrade to automation. I'm thinking a VS Pump is a must have from the get go?

I'm having a 16' x 36' vinyl liner saltwater pool built. I'm in southwest Georgia if that matters.

Thanks, Robert

We went the easy way and did it from the start but a safe bet is to go with Pentair or compatible equipment for the pump, salt, and lights. Heater brand doesn’t really matter for automation from what I’ve seen.

The 3 major name brands are Hayward, Pentair and Jandy. Some PB only offer 1 brand because they have a deal with that manufacturer. What brand equipment is your PB providing?

All major brands have automation, VS pumps, filters, SWCGs and heaters. If you want the best compatibility between equipment it is preferred to have the automation, VS pump and SWCG all by the same manufacturer. Filters are not affected by automation; most heaters work with multiple automaton systems as they are on/off with temp control and the only other device would be if you go with colored LED lights that need to be controlled by automation.

Automation controls devices either through high voltage electrical relays or increasingly by RS-485 low voltage data communications.

If you head in the direction of automation and devices that are controlled by high voltage relays you will have electrical rewiring to connect them.

Pentair is getting RS-485 control in some of their pumps, their SWG, and heaters.

I would get Pentair devices that have RS-485 control and they will be easier hooking to a Pentair automation box when you are ready.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.