Equipment bonding question: Pump Heater and Filter?

bostonpool

May 29, 2017
Worcester, MA
Hi folks:
I managed to get my 42-year old Anthony Model 20 pool light working this week. Looks and works great!

Part of this project has opened my eyes up to the importance of bonding all of the equipment and my pool, etc.

I have no idea where / how my pool is bonded given the age. It is a gunite pool and there is rebar. I am assuming the pool is properly bonded, as is the old light fixture I just got working. In my pool shed, I see my pump is connected to a copper bonding wire. Its a bit green due to age. And also connected to this is the bonding wire for my new SWG that I put in 3 years ago. So the pump and SWG appear to be properly bonded. Cool.

But...my old, Rapak RHP-072 Heat Pump (heater) doesn't seem to be bonded. I see the 220V electrical connection from the panel (not on a GFCI breaker btw), but don't think there is a bonding wire in the conduit. Given the age of the heat pump, I'm not even sure if there is a bonding lug on the unit.

Given I've now got a 120V light in my pool working, I'm having out an electrician next week to inspect my entire system, test GFCI breakers, etc. Should I also push him to bond this old heat pump, even if it doesn't have a bonding lug? Do I need to bond my metal DE filter (Anthony model VA-38)?

How big of a deal is this? Note I've experienced zero electrical issues thus far (fingers crossed, knocking on wood big time.)

I supposed he should, at a minimum, change my 220V breaker for the heater to GFCI.

Thanks.

I take some of the above back. Taking a second look, I've got no idea if my pool is even bonded. I see my pump is connected to a copper wire, but it may be a ground wire. It isn't connected to the screw at the top of the pump (12 O'clock), rather it's at like the 2 O'clock position.

Hmmm....could my 1978 pool not be bonded at all? That can't be right.

Again, I'm having zero issues.

DE filter does not need to be bonded.

Latest code requires a gas heater to be bonded but for a long time it did not. If your heater has a bonding lug then connect it to the bonding ire. If not, then leave it alone.

GFCI is for totally different safety reasons then bonding.

Your metal DE filter is not connected to any electricity so does not need to be bonded.

Heat pumps are designed to separate the water from the electrical components and do not need to be bonded. Put your HP model in your signature.

Might be a good idea to detach the pump bond & clean the lug & copper where they meet. I do this every couple of years to ensure a good connection.

Good idea to upgrade the breaker to gfi, brings it up to more current safety, though unrelated to bonding.

Your metal DE filter is not connected to any electricity so does not need to be bonded.

Heat pumps are designed to separate the water from the electrical components and do not need to be bonded. Put your HP model in your signature.

Thanks ajw. Regarding Heat Pumps being bonded, can you point to something in the code / NEC that shows this?

Changing subjects to GFCI...is there also anything pointing to why this isn't necessary on the heat pump?

Will add my Rapak heat pump info tonight.

Last edited:
Thanks ajw. Regarding Heat Pumps being bonded, can you point to something in the code / NEC that shows this?

Changing subjects to GFCI...is there also anything pointing to why this isn't necessary on the heat pump?

Will add my Rapak heat pump info tonight.

Pool_Water_Heatr_Bonding.png

NEC only states what is required, not what is not required.

NEC_Gas_Fired_Heater_GFCI.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.