Equal supply and return pluming lines?

mikes112

May 28, 2019
New Jersey
I went to start to redo my layout for the new filter and pool heater on the concrete pad when I realized that there is only one supply line and two return lines for a 30,500 gallon pool and there all 1.5", does this seem right? The pipe on the top left in the second photo goes to my Polaris booster pump. I was wondering if it would be best to dig up this one supply line and split it right at the exit of the filter? Also do they make t splitters that combine two 1.5 diameter pipe to one 2.5" diameter pipe?
Thanks for your help.
Plumbing layout.jpg
pump.jpg

Last edited:
You are using HVAC terminology. Supply and returns for pools are opposite of HVAC terms. The supply is on the suction of the pump (i.e. water is supplied to the pump). Return is for water returning from the pump to the pool.

If you have two suction lines and one return line, that is fine, in fact it is better than the opposite. You always want more suction lines (or larger) than return lines to prevent cavitation.

As to the number of eyeballs in the pool, that is a different matter. Is the picture you are showing they way it is now or the way you want to make it? Are there two return eyeballs in the pool now?

You are using HVAC terminology. Supply and returns for pools are opposite of HVAC terms. The supply is on the suction of the pump (i.e. water is supplied to the pump). Return is for water returning from the pump to the pool.

If you have two suction lines and one return line, that is fine, in fact it is better than the opposite. You always want more suction lines (or larger) than return lines to prevent cavitation.

As to the number of eyeballs in the pool, that is a different matter. Is the picture you are showing they way it is now or the way you want to make it? Are there two return eyeballs in the pool now?
The way it is now. Yes there are two return eyeballs in the pool now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.