Epoxy instead of plaster?

Sep 17, 2013
Our pool has needed to be replastetrd since we bought the house 3yrs ago, but it's purely cosmetic so far & not leaking, so we keep putting it off.

Good friend owns a home remodeling company & is wanting to branch out into pools. He mentioned wanting to look into getting his start on my pool. Of course we would put together a legal contract stating who's responsible for what and his liabilities and so forth.

My question is he recently told me he's looking at Pool epoxy instead of plaster.....is this a thing? The quote I received on my pool was chip back any failing plaster, float it with a bonding agent and then plaster. How does that work with epoxy?

- - - Updated - - -

Just got a clarification email from him

He's not referring to the paint on epoxy. He's a certified rep/installer for Diamond Coat, mainly used for floors and counter tops and really cool honestly. Apparently they are coming out with a product that can be used on vertical surfaces.

Where abouts are you located?

I know nothing of that product but I would make sure you are certain that it will withstand being continuously submerged, is resistant to UV light, and has a proven track record of withstanding typical pool chemistry.

This doesn't have anything to do with anything but I'm rather proud of this top secret technique for the drain covers

I can see all kinds of ways this could go wrong . . . Never mix friendships and business.

This of course was my first apprehension

Make sure the Diamond coat product can be used under water. The Aquabrite system would be a possibility also

That's my number one concern, what happens when exposed to all the chemicals, plus the fact that I believe it will essentially be permananent.

Where abouts are you located?

I know nothing of that product but I would make sure you are certain that it will withstand being continuously submerged, is resistant to UV light, and has a proven track record of withstanding typical pool chemistry.

This doesn't have anything to do with anything but I'm rather proud of this top secret technique for the drain covers

That's a pretty awesome drain cover for sure.

Located in Houston, TX. Plaster is fading, cracked and in the spa actually chipping. It was replastered several years ago after a tree fell across it and apparently wasn't done correctly.

I've had 2 quotes for replastering and just haven't been very excited about spending the money

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just wish they'd make drain covers flush with the pool surface. My suction cleaner always gets hung up on the covers.

What you would have installed for a flat main drain is the A&A AVSC Channel Drain. This link is actually to the Pebble top cover (or Aquabrite) which attaches to the A&A drain. One of my PB's showed this as an option. I mistakenly didn't have my chosen PB use it. It is flat and allows for large debris (leaves) to get drawn in. How well? I don't know for sure, but the openings are huge compared to any other type of main drain cover.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/55257138e4b0c26feadbc8ce/t/55427f6ce4b03d711b27772e/1430421356069/AA-CPTDC+Brochure.pdf

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.