EMERGENCY - Need opinions!

Nov 27, 2018
Arlington, VA
Pool reno here that's gone wrong (will save the details) and been grossly delayed (originally to be done by Memorial Day). Now we're supposed to be done this weekend. Upgraded to code compliant drain, but it's crooked by a few inches. We're doing grey plaster and, per PB, with grey drain cover you won't notice that the drain isn't in line with the sides of the pool. It's in our deep end (about 6' of water). Pics attached. We raised this months ago when they cut it and he said they'd fix and never did. According to PB today they couldn't bc of position of existing rebar and plumbing.
PB said they could install two separate round drains instead but would be a fair amount of concrete work and so couldn't plaster and fill on Friday and would set us back another week. We're SOOO ready for this to be over! Will you be able to see the drain position once the pool is filled, or is he right that the water ripples etc. will effectively mask the issue???

IMG_5703.jpgIMG_5701.jpg

No one will notice that, specially at that depth.

Even though it's a mistake (you have every right to demand they fix), I wouldn't want them to cut any more concrete and potentially weaken the pool shell to correct it / install two round drains.

I could not live with that.

When I came home from work and saw the forms set for my pool surround, I pulled them all out and reset them straight n square. Would not have been happy with crooked patio or crooked drains.

I could not live with that.

When I came home from work and saw the forms set for my pool surround, I pulled them all out and reset them straight n square. Would not have been happy with crooked patio or crooked drains.
I think I'd be annoyed by that as well. Although I do agree that the refraction of the water will diminish it's noticeability to everyone else (except you).

I find things like that to be disturbing. Crooked outlets and light switch faceplates drive me absolutely insane!

With TFP clear water, I can see every detail of my main drain about 9 feet deep. Your drain would bother me, but I'm pretty sure no one else would ever notice.

Looks like opinions are about 50/50! Clear as mud? Personally with that history I would want them out of my life as soon as possible. I would not ask them to fix it just go with it I doubt you will notice it much after plaster and water. I also would not want them damaging any of the shell. Maybe ask for a credit. Life goes on.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks everyone for the replies! We decided that it would drive us crazy and told PB last night it needed to be fixed. He initially acquiesced and said they'd try to fix it today and stay on schedule. They're still not on site and said they're trying to get the parts... he said overall it's going to be a hard and difficult task to switch to the 2 drains with the biggest issue being that all the floor return line run with the bottom drain line and the bottom drain line is under all of the return lines. He said this is why it is crooked... the pipe does not come up straight. He said they'll do the best they can with the two round bottom drains... Based on this would you expect a significant chance that the two round drains will still be off center?

Lasvegaspools, I recommended the drain you suggested. He cited issues with availability and cost and said the biggest issue is the line coming up out of ground is at a slight angle so it will not be flat with existing concrete and still look "funny".

It will 100% be noticeable. Ask them to switch to a different brand of drain that would not require that much additional work, like this one.
Thanks for the reply! We decided that it would drive us crazy and told PB last night it needed to be fixed. He initially acquiesced and said they'd try to fix it today and stay on schedule. They're still not on site and said they're trying to get the parts... he said overall it's going to be a hard and difficult task to switch to the 2 drains with the biggest issue being that all the floor return line run with the bottom drain line and the bottom drain line is under all of the return lines. He said this is why it is crooked... the pipe does not come up straight. He said they'll do the best they can with the two round bottom drains... Based on this would you expect a significant chance that the two round drains will still be off center?

Lasvegaspools, I recommended the drain you suggested. He cited issues with availability and cost and said the biggest issue is the line coming up out of ground is at a slight angle so it will not be flat with existing concrete and still look "funny".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.