Eliminating 90 degrees elbows. Is it worth the effort? Pictures

Nov 17, 2015
Oxford CT
I'm in a process of changing the Vari-Flow valve that cracked. I think If I turn my sand filter 90 degrees I will be able to get rid of 2 close 90 degrees on the inlet side and one 90 degrees turn on the outlet side. Is it worth the effort?
This is inground 20 by 40 pool, the pump is 1 1/2 hp, 1 1/2 PVC plumbing.

Attachments

• A4EAB980-058D-4661-904E-EBD771D02744.jpeg
    A4EAB980-058D-4661-904E-EBD771D02744.jpeg
    778.7 KB · Views: 36
  • D91D3432-18F8-4881-A74D-AABA6F44313E.jpeg
    D91D3432-18F8-4881-A74D-AABA6F44313E.jpeg
    379.4 KB · Views: 36
  • A5BE95DF-F146-4A65-B614-1AC044539FAC.jpeg
    A5BE95DF-F146-4A65-B614-1AC044539FAC.jpeg
    795.8 KB · Views: 36
P,

Do as you wish, but you will not see enough difference for you to notice, or even measure...

If you have to re-plumb anyway, it makes sense, but don't do it just because you think that it will make any difference in your flow.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Union or slip union For example ....

P,

Do as you wish, but you will not see enough difference for you to notice, or even measure...

If you have to re-plumb anyway, it makes sense, but don't do it just because you think that it will make any difference in your flow.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Got you. Will it make difference at least on paper? lol, Those 2 90 degrees are pretty close, almost like the 180-degree angle. That's what made me think.

Will it make difference at least on paper?

P,

I suspect a little, but not near enough to notice in real life..

The unions you have on your pump are the kind you buy a Home Depot and not what you want.. You want the ones that Pat link too above.

They are called "pump unions" and they are made with an O-Ring on the threaded end.. You don't have to use tape or glue, you just screw them in and the O-ring keeps the connection from leaking. Look at what you have now and how it works, and then look again at the pump unions above...

I'd replace both of them on your pump...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I would generally optimize for access.

If you create a situation that makes it awkward to work on the system, that gets old quick.

If you can remove elbows without making the valve difficult to get to, then fine.

In my opinion, there are several things I would do to improve the system:

1) Go to a 2" valve and use 2" from the pump to the valve.

2) Reduce the flow as much as possible by replacing the impeller to the smallest impeller available that will give you enough flow.

3) You can use sweep elbows, but they are a little bit more difficult to use than regular 90s.

1628818851309.png
1628818897082.png
1628818392652.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As far as energy goes, reducing the number of 90s actually increases the amount of energy because the flow will improve.

Reducing the flow by downsizing the impeller will drop the power and energy costs by a lot and it will reduce the amount of noise by a lot as well.

As the velocity in the pipes increases, the turbulence also increases and the noise goes way up, especially if you have any air bubbles in the water.

I don't see anything in your signature that would require the amount of flow that you have now.

I would go to a SPX2605C impeller.

Also, be aware that it is not easy to rotate or move a sand filter.

It's highly likely that you would damage the base if you try to move the filter while it is full of sand.

In my opinion, the flow you have now is at least twice as much as you need.

Dropping the flow would actually improve the overall system performance while lowering the cost to operate and reduce the noise.

The faster that you push the water through the sand, the worse it filters.

And, the backwash rate is higher than it should be, which can cause loss of sand as the sand will become entrained in the flow as it goes out of the waste line.

Reactions: psihiart
Also, be aware that it is not easy to rotate or move a sand filter.

It's highly likely that you would damage the base if you try to move the filter while it is full of sand.

In my opinion, the flow you have now is at least twice as much as you need.

Dropping the flow would actually improve the overall system performance while lowering the cost to operate and reduce the noise.

The faster that you push the water through the sand, the worse it filters.

And, the backwash rate is higher than it should be, which can cause loss of sand as the sand will become entrained in the flow as it goes out of the waste line.
Thank you for your advice and very thorough explanation. I always thought that more flow means a more efficient system and less energy cost. The other factor against redesigning the system is that it will make the valve less accessible, placing it behind the bush that hides the filter.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.