cvillecuse

Mar 27, 2024
Central Virginia
I currently have an outdoor sub-panel that is run off a 30 amp breaker on the main panel in order to run the pump, ozone generator, and uv light. The sub-panel is literally on the other side of the wall from the main panel, less than 5 feet away. I can't quite tell the gauge of the wire, but it looks like 8 or 10.

I recently purchased a Hayward 110K BTU heat pump, so in order to install it, I will need to upgrade my electrical and I am asking the board if this is correct:

1) Replace the main panel 30 amp breaker with a 100 amp breaker (main panel is 200 amp service)
2) Replace the service wire in existing conduit with 2-2-2-4 aluminum or 3-3-3-5 copper
3) Add 50 amp GFCI breaker to outdoor sub-panel
4) Run new conduit + #6 THHN approx 6 feet to heat pump
5) Bond to the rest of the equipment

Does this look right?

Pool: Lathan Laguna Deluxe
Pump: Hayward Superpump 1.5hp
Filter: 200 square foot Hayward Cartridge Filter
Sanitizer: Paramount UV + Ozone + Hayward Automatic Chemical Feeder for Chlorine tabs
Located in Central VA

TIA

I would stick with copper wire. While aluminum is might be a bit cheaper, it has to be done just right (and with the appropriate connectors) to be safe.
I believe the ground run for for the 100A circuit can be #8, but certainly no harm in using #4.
Double check that the sub-panel is rated for 100A (likely is but you really need to check that sheet of paper on the inside of the door).
Otherwise plan looks good to me.