Electrical/timing question: smart main pump vs. dumb booster

jim_bo

May 18, 2017
Highland, MD
Main: Pentair Intelliflow 2 VST
Booster: Polaris PB4-60

First time pool owner last Summer, filled on 7/2/16 so I spent the remainder of the Summer swimming and not worrying about equipment details. :) However, it was opened Monday, so I'm taking the time while it warms up to read all the manuals and hit the learning curve. Btw, soooooo glad I finally did this. I've been wanting a pool for years.

The main pump and booster were installed each with their own mechanical timer. If you have a traditional (not smart) main pump, if there's a power outage, the timers will get equally out of time, so there's no real possibility of the booster running without the main running as well. (Assuming the timers are set up properly, of course). However, in my setup, the (smart) Intelliflow has its own battery-backed clock and scheduling on board. This means that there is a very real possibility that a power outage could throw the booster's mechanical timer sufficiently out of sync with the Intelliflow that the booster could turn on without the main being on. I really don't want to melt the booster's impeller.

Has anyone dealt with this? Ideally, there would be a sense wire (or something) locking the booster off unless the main were on. (Probably a very good idea anyway- does any pump do this??)

I'm an EE, I could hack something up, but if there's an easier way I'd love to hear about it.

Jim,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource even EE's can understand... :snorkle:

You can have the identical issue with a SWCG system.. Here is a link to a thread that uses a current sensor module that should work for you...

See this ... https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/138224-Help-wiring-relay-for-SWG-control

You would have to come up with an enclosure but that should be pretty easy...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

HEY!!! :)

Thanks for the link- that was actually exactly what I had in mind.

As far as the SWCG- I'll check when I get home, but I think my SWCG may be hardwired to be on 100% of the time- I'm not sure it's powered off the main pump timer. Even if it is, you're right, same problem as the booster. Is this bad? Should the SWCG not be on without flow?

Argh... I'm starting to think I may need to redo the power system from the ground up. It's clear the installers didn't consider the ramifications of the VST.

Thanks-
Jim

Jim,

It is a safety issue to have to SWCG on if the pump is off. What some installers do.. (In violation of every SWCG manual I have seen) is to rely on the flow switch to turn off the SWCG, when the pump is off.

The flow switch is a back up safety device.. the primary device is to remove power from the cell control panel when the pump is off. Will the world end doing it wrong, probably not, could the world end, yes it could.

I suggest you wire it correctly.. You could actually use the same current switch to power an external relay which in turn could control the booster and the SWCG..

Since you are an EE I'm surprised you are not "into" automation.. An EasyTouch system would allow you to control your IntelliFlo, booster pump, IC40 and other stuff all from your PC, tablet or phone. As an example; when I what to crank up the SWCG's output.. I just click one icon and I'm done.. Same with pump speed, etc.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you. Good to know about the SWCG, I'll investigate how it's wired.

I'm totally into home automation- actually, that's how I knew about current sensing relay boxes. Problem is, I am a blank slate as far as what's available OTC for pools. I read something just this morning about the phone app thing, and just finished the Intelliflow manual and next was EasyTouch (referenced in the Intelliflow manual) when I saw your post. It sounds like it could be perfect if it will give a single point of coordination for all the devices. The app is icing on the cake. :)

Thanks for the input! I see a reading evening approaching. Stay tuned for further confusion...

Jim

Jim,

It is a safety issue to have to SWCG on if the pump is off. What some installers do.. (In violation of every SWCG manual I have seen) is to rely on the flow switch to turn off the SWCG, when the pump is off.

The flow switch is a back up safety device.. the primary device is to remove power from the cell control panel when the pump is off. Will the world end doing it wrong, probably not, could the world end, yes it could.

I suggest you wire it correctly.. You could actually use the same current switch to power an external relay which in turn could control the booster and the SWCG..

Since you are an EE I'm surprised you are not "into" automation.. An EasyTouch system would allow you to control your IntelliFlo, booster pump, IC40 and other stuff all from your PC, tablet or phone. As an example; when I what to crank up the SWCG's output.. I just click one icon and I'm done.. Same with pump speed, etc.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.