Electrical requirements?

Jspot

Sep 23, 2020
Ontario Canada
Trying to run all my above ground pool equipment out of my shed. It's a 18x 33 oval.
I've got the pump and a natural gas heater for it. I'd like to add salt water to it this year as well.
Does anyone know what is recommended for power. It's going to be a new line is a 20 amp line enough?

You will need to let us know what pump you are running. What are the electrical requirements for it?

You are in Ontario, as in Canada? You will also need to review if there is any local electrical codes that you need to meet.
A 20 amp line is likely enough to run the pump, but the specific specifications of what you need could vary greatly. Also, likely need a separate 15 amp line for the SWG and any other accessories needed by code.

Reactions: magiteck
You are in Ontario, as in Canada? You will also need to review if there is any local electrical codes that you need to meet.
A 20 amp line is likely enough to run the pump, but the specific specifications of what you need could vary greatly. Also, likely need a separate 15 amp line for the SWG and any other accessories needed by code.
Yes Ontario Canada, sorry I always forget about Ontario California.

The pump is a 1.5 HP pump sta rite. It's label says 16 amps on 120 v. The heater and salt water both run 4 amps a piece.

Running power to an outbuilding? If you’re running an underground line, conduit (as opposed to direct bury cable) is likely the way to go. If you need more circuits you can easily pull new wire through conduit.

For example, I’ve got an Intex pool, but I was planning ahead for a possible upgrade to a hard sided pool and more equipment. So even though all I needed was one circuit to plug in the pump, I had the electrician do conduit and immediately pull two circuits. So I have two 20 A 120 V circuits, which could also be used to get a single 20 A, 240 V circuit. And the conduit is big enough that I could easily pull multiple other circuits out there if needed with little effort.

Yes Ontario Canada, sorry I always forget about Ontario California.

The pump is a 1.5 HP pump sta rite. It's label says 16 amps on 120 v. The heater and salt water both run 4 amps a piece.
Lol on Ontario. It’s OK. There are a lot of cities named Ontario. I lived 20 miles south of a good sized city of Ontario in Ohio.
The 20 amp breaker should be sufficient for that pump. Wire sizing will be determined my the length of the run.
I’d have another 15A line run to get a 2nd and 3rd outlet for the heater and SWG. Both should have a local breaker or plug to disconnect power when you need to service them.
But again you need to verify against local codes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.