Electrical Question - please help!!

buckeye22

Mar 19, 2019
Arizona
We are nearing the end of our long journey for our pool. The city inspector was out last week and failed it due to electric issues. The initial plans sent to the city specified the following : 30A Breaker at main panel, 1/2" IMC wrapped 6" burial or 1/2" emt with 2 #8, 2 #10 A.W.G. thwn to PS8 pool panel. approx: 134'.
Unfortunately, 4 #10 were installed so it failed. Going back to the beginning, they used 1/2" conduit, so could not install the 2 #8 (as I understand, the conduit needs to be 3/4"). Our project manager said they could fix it but the pool company called yesterday and said everything was fine and in order to fix, they would have to rip up our travertine and yard to put in new conduit to fit the #8s
My gut is telling me they messed up and there had to be a reason that the #8 were part of the plan submitted to the city, but the pool company is saying based on our equipment that the 4 #10s are sufficient. Is it possible #8s were put in the plan due to length of breaker box to electrical panel box by the pump? Will our equipment be impacted?

He sent the following information over today to assure us we don't have an issue. Attachments for the following:
T 15 cell, PS4

VS900

1, 320, 1, UCL color logic light

Attachments

• image001.png
    image001.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 14
  • image002.png
    image002.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 16
  • image003.png
    image003.png
    67.7 KB · Views: 15
Who drew up the plans that were approved by the city that included those electrical specifications?

Even if it can be done with #10 instead of #8 wire the city inspector is going to look at what was built versus the plans. You need to get revised plans showing four #10 wires and submit them for city approval. Then the inspector will approve it.

Go back to the engineer who stamped the plans and discuss it with him.

Here's how the inspector looks at it. You're putting a 30 amp breaker as the feed, so there's the probability of drawing 30 amps of current at the pad sometime in the future. so for 30 amps at 134' the wire size needs to be #8 for less than 5% voltage drop. You could put a 20 amp breaker on the branch circuit and the inspector MAY approve it. But as Allen said, you may need to submit a revised set of plans as well as change the breaker.

Having said that, 2-#8 & 2-#10 THWN's in a ½" EMT creates a fill of a little less than 40%, (37.98% to be exact) so technically they will fit. At 135' that won't be an easy pull, but with a little lube it can be done.

In closing, If it were me, I'd push for the original planned run.

Reactions: Psycho1122
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.