Electrical Circuit/Breaker Requirements for Pentair

The new Intelliflo3 manual states that "The pump should be permanently connected to its own independent GFCI-protected circuit."

Previous versions of the pump had language like this: "If AC power is supplied by a GFCI circuit breaker, the pump should be wired on its own independent circuit unless the pump is operated in tandem with a Pentair salt chlorine generator."

My setup also includes an Intellicenter with an IC40 and the IC40 is powered by one of the low voltage relays/fuses on the intellicenter.

Since neither the heater (Pentair 400HD) nor the SWG should be able to run when the pump isn't running I usually would have these all on the same circuit breaker & Relay as the Intellicenter itself. Not sure if that's still a good practice or if there is a better approach.

Hoping someone can provide a recommendation.

Thanks!

Moon,

The SWCG's Transformer should only get AC power when the system is in the Pool mode or Spa mode and the pump is being told to run. This is why the AC power to the transformer must only come from the load side of the Pump/Filter relay.

The VS pump should get constant AC power.

The heater can be connected to the Pump/Filter relay, but there is no requirement to do so.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I prefer the IntelliCenter to be on its own dedicated 120V circut breaker.

You don’t want a GFCI trip due to the pump or heater to shut down the Intellicenter and have it go dark.

You also want the ability to power down the IntelliCenter to work on it and be able to run the pump.

Moon,

I assume you meant that the IntelliChlor SWCG should be on the load side of the Pump/Filter relay, not the IntelliCenter. You want the AC power that runs the IntelliCenter to be on its own breaker, as Allen points about above.

Jim R.

Give the heater a cooldown in the automation.

The fan needs to run for about 30 seconds to help it cool down after running.

"The filter pump should run continuously when the heater is on, and for at least 5 minutes after the heater turns off.
Any switches in the pump circuit (including circuit breakers) that can disconnect the pump must also disconnect the heater".

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.