Electric shock when SWG is on

FlapjackMcCoy

Bronze Supporter
Aug 13, 2019
North Carolina
Hello, I got a small cut on my fingertip yesterday and I noticed when I put that finger in the pool when the SWG is running I can feel a small shock. I don't feel it on the other hand and I don't feel it when the SWG is off. Is this normal? I assume it is because the SWG works by running electricity across the plates but just wanted to make sure. Thanks

Absolutely not. You need to turn off all breakers that lead to the pool/pool equipment and close your pool until it's straightened out, preferably by an electrician.

You have two problems. One in the SWG that is allowing the current to leak, and another in the safety systems that are supposed to safely direct any stray current away from people.

Reactions: Dirk and Tina Sage
Hello, I got a small cut on my fingertip yesterday and I noticed when I put that finger in the pool when the SWG is running I can feel a small shock. I don't feel it on the other hand and I don't feel it when the SWG is off. Is this normal? I assume it is because the SWG works by running electricity across the plates but just wanted to make sure. Thanks
It the pool fiberglass? Known issue with this type of pools, due to static charge build-up when pool pump operational.
Chlorinator, water pump, water heater or any other electrical equipment in contact with the water can cause electricity leakage. Electrician will have to perform standard isolation test to check equipment.

I reached out to the PB and explained what is happening and will keep you guys updated on what comes of it. Things are crazy right now for them so I'm not sure how long this will take to get solved. For now I will just throw the breaker when we want to swim.

I reached out to the PB and explained what is happening and will keep you guys updated on what comes of it. Things are crazy right now for them so I'm not sure how long this will take to get solved. For now I will just throw the breaker when we want to swim.
Be safe and please have it checked. That's a SUPER dangerous issue that can kill you.

Reactions: Tina Sage

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes this is definitely a top priority concern right now. We've probably been swimming like this since day one, if it wasn't for the cut on my finger I might not have noticed - and it was so faint at first I almost wrote it off. I know the code inspector visually inspects everything, you'd think it would be better that they actually test it with a meter.

Reactions: Tina Sage
Still waiting on the PB to send out an electrician. In the meantime I did a few tests thanks to an electrician in Florida I connected with (Mike Holt). I did a continuity check, ohms measurement and new to the earth voltage check and they all verify that the pool is equipotential bonded correctly between the water, decking, all equipment, and back to the ground. We also determined it is indeed the SWG that is leaking voltage. I'm going to keep this in my back pocket and see what the electrician determines when they finally get here. I also plan on installing an additional (3rd) water bond near the equipment, something like this because why not:

CMP Pool Defender Compact Sacrificial Zinc Anode - 2 to 2.5

Reactions: markayash
@JamesW... can your verify or not. I don't believe that "Pool Defender" the OP is considering has anything to do with protecting a pool from stray voltage or a faulty bonding grid or SWG. It was my understanding that its purpose is to protect metal parts in the pool from corrosion. Or does it have a secondary benefit of acting as an additional bond connection point?

Per CMPs brochure on the Pool Defender,
"Compact Pool Defender acts protects the pool from galvanic corrosion and is also certified as a water bonding device."

Reactions: Dirk
Thanks guys for the correction. That's assuming, I presume, that it's properly connected to the bonding grid and not just a ground.

Round two: how can the OP claim his tests reveal nothing wrong with the bonding? Doesn't a proper bond negate any possibility of any kind of shock, or can some things still shock you even if the grid is shown to be 100% correctly installed? Conversely, is any shock proof that there is something wrong with the bonding?

Reactions: borjis
Doesn't a proper bond negate any possibility of any kind of shock, or can some things still shock you even if the grid is shown to be 100% correctly installed?
A bonding grid can only equalize the voltage everywhere if there's no current flowing.

If current is flowing, the voltage will be different at different places depending on the current and resistance

Reactions: Dirk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.