Electric cover junction box

doctorh

Jul 24, 2020
Harrison Arkansas
I had been on this site a ton back when I built my own pool. I had to change my user name because I couldnt remember what it was and the email I used back then is changed.

Now its been about 5 years. I hired a local pool service company and they for the most part are barely adequate. They already cracked my entire skimmer by not winterizing properly but patched it and there is either no more leak or very little that its hard to discern it from usual evaporation.

I had him install an electric pool cover a few years ago. When I installed my pool, even though we live in the country and dont technically have to pull permits, I printed out all the codes and followed them to a T.

Now my question. The "pool" guy ran the supply out to the far end of pool in a 1" gray conduit then up onto the concrete slab that surrounds the pool inside the splash zone. The junction box looks like a weather proof box but, shouldnt it be back from the water X amount of feet and X amount above water line? There is no Plug in spots it is strictly a junction box where wires are tied together. Something is just not looking right about this installation. Also I was told that my saltwater cell was not working anymore and needed to be replaced. I asked for am estimate to replace it. He wanted 1200.00 to install a new cell. I bought one for 650 and took 10 min to install. That should give you insight to this guys character. He is only pool guy inside 50 miles. I think Im about to fire him all together.

Welcome back.

Now my question. The "pool" guy ran the supply out to the far end of pool in a 1" gray conduit then up onto the concrete slab that surrounds the pool inside the splash zone. The junction box looks like a weather proof box but, shouldnt it be back from the water X amount of feet and X amount above water line? There is no Plug in spots it is strictly a junction box where wires are tied together. Something is just not looking right about this installation.

If the junction box wiring feeds pool lights then it should be located not less than 4 in. above the ground or permanently installed pool, or not less than 8 in. above the maximum water level, whichever provides the greater elevation, and the junction box must be located not less than 4 ft from the inside wall of the permanently installed pool, unless separated by a solid fence, wall, or other permanent barrier.

No it feeds the motor for the pool cover. I did the box for the light and it is well off the deck and above the highest water level etc. to code. I just thought having a junction box bolted to the concrete deck with in a foot and half of the water was kind of sketchy.

No it feeds the motor for the pool cover. I did the box for the light and it is well off the deck and above the highest water level etc. to code. I just thought having a junction box bolted to the concrete deck with in a foot and half of the water was kind of sketchy.

I agree with you. Although code does not specify a junction box for that use I would have followed the code for a pool light.

The junction box looks like a weather proof box but, shouldnt it be back from the water X amount of feet and X amount above water line?

680.27 Specialized Equipment.
(B) Electrically Operated Covers.

(1) Motors and Controllers. The electric motors, controllers, and wiring for an electrically operated cover must be located not less than 5 ft from the inside wall of a permanently installed pool, outdoor spa, or outdoor hot tub, unless separated by a permanent barrier.
(2) Wiring Methods. The electric motor and controller circuit must be GFCI protected.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.