efflorescence—new gunite shell

2times

In The Industry
Jul 1, 2020
Florida
Hello all—I would like to get some of your thoughts on efflorescence on a new gunite shell. The pool is ready to be plastered and I noticed a few marks. Was wondering if there are any precautions needed prior to plasterIng it, like grinding it down and applying a bond kote to seal it or will it be fine plastering over it. I do not want to have issues down the line if it will eventually seep through the plaster. Also, for those that have plastered over it, was wondering if you ran into any issues—Thanks in advance, appreciate the feedback!

Attachments

• 2E382F74-73B3-4A46-B00B-0B32120A50CF.jpeg
    2E382F74-73B3-4A46-B00B-0B32120A50CF.jpeg
    631.7 KB · Views: 152
Reactions: Nelsonfam
Hello all—I would like to get some of your thoughts on efflorescence on a new gunite shell. The pool is ready to be plastered and I noticed a few marks. Was wondering if there are any precautions needed prior to plasterIng it, like grinding it down and applying a bond kote to seal it or will it be fine plastering over it. I do not want to have issues down the line if it will eventually seep through the plaster. Also, for those that have plastered over it, was wondering if you ran into any issues—Thanks in advance, appreciate the feedback!
I have the same efflorescence in my gunite as well. I've read that plaster will cover it up and it should be ok. However, I'm far from an expert and I am also curious in the expert's replies.

Far from an expert in the gunite realm as well...I’ve read the same about the plaster will cover it up, but was hoping for someone that had it, plastered it and has not had a problem since.
Jimmie48
Did they grind it down or apply bond kote to it or you plan on plasterIng over it. Thx

I read somewhere that wet curing your shell could cause efflorescence. I know for 7 days I was on it so I'm thinking likely that is the cause. Hopefully, it's a non-issue as I've read through various searches in TFP.

Thank you for all of the replies. I grinded them down and acid washed it. You can’t tell it was ever there....plaster on Tuesday. On a side note I did contact the plaster manufacturer and my rep stated that if left it would bleed through the plaster eventually, with that said I was not taking any chances with it. Thanks again!

Thank you for all of the replies. I grinded them down and acid washed it. You can’t tell it was ever there....plaster on Tuesday. On a side note I did contact the plaster manufacturer and my rep stated that if left it would bleed through the plaster eventually, with that said I was not taking any chances with it. Thanks again!
I realize this is an old thread but I'm reviving it to see if anybody has any new and relevant information on this topic? Particularly the OP have you had any issues with this pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.