Efflorescence Longevity

Mlamb

Oct 2, 2017
Sarasota/Fl
Since the pool was resurfaced, I’ve been dealing with efflorescence on the glass tiles under the spillway. I’m in the pool often so the constant cleaning hasn’t been too bothersome. Lately, the efflorescence seems to be less than in the past, maybe it’s wishful thinking, but I was wondering if over time will it actually dissipate and eventually be eliminated?

I doubt it will be eliminated over time. It will just move around to different areas.

Efflorescence is caused by water carrying salts and minerals through rock and concrete. It is unlikely your pool structure will ever be free of the salts and minerals.

Thanks ajw22. It’s been over 4 years since the resurface and there been no efflorescence anywhere else, just under the spillway hence the thought that the salt level in that area would dissipate over time.

Fix the hairline cracks in the grout that are letting water from the spillover get into the shell to create the efflorescence. The root cause is water getting through the grout.

If the scale is mostly emanating from the grout, then it's likely that the water is coming from the spa through the wall and creating efflorescence.

The water might be coming from the plumbing or through the spa shell.

If the scale is evenly spread over the tile, then it might just be minerals due to evaporation, which can't really be controlled.

If the scale is mostly emanating from the grout, then it's likely that the water is coming from the spa through the wall and creating efflorescence.

The water might be coming from the plumbing or through the spa shell.

If the scale is evenly spread over the tile, then it might just be minerals due to evaporation, which can't really be controlled.
Thanks guys! No plumbing in that area. The efflorescence is mostly concentrated directly under the marble spillway with less and less further down towards the pool water level. I’ll check the grout for any hairline cracks. If I find any would you just regrout or use something else?

I cleaned the area just a few days ago so a picture will not show the problem. I’m going to try regrouting the spa side and see what happens. If the efflorescence returns, I’ll post some pics. Again, thanks for the help.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.