Efficiencies....

Macboy

Bronze Supporter
May 18, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I think I have our SWG almost dialled in (see other post about needing just a bit more salt). I took the original cartridge filter pump that came with our pool and have it running the SWG independent of the Krystal Clear. We’re running the SWG for seven hours per day and it’s holding the pool at about 3.5ppm FC. So we’re getting there. It’s gonna need a longer run.

I wonder then if I were to plumb it (the SWG) into the Krystal Clear plumbing would the higher flow rate create the same (or more) FC in the shorter four hour run the big pump gets each day? I believe the little cartridge pump is good for 800gph under ideal everything. The big one? Well, suffice to say it’s way overkill for our little pool. Not sure exactly what the flow rate is but is way higher than 800.

SWCG only creates so much chlorine gas per unit time. Regardless of flow rate, once you meet the minimum to close the flow switch.

I find that very interesting. Makes sense though given how it “looks” while it’s producing. I went for my first splash since switching over (I’ve been busy) and it was every bit as pleasant as I hoped it would have been. Very happy with the switch to salt water. Now let’s see how the pipes - and the lawn hold up!

I was thinking a little more about this this morning. If the documentation that came with the SWG indicated that for my volume of pool my daily run time should have been 3 hours, why am I needing to run more than double that (perhaps as much as triple) to achieve FC maintenance? The pool is covered by a gazebo so protected from UV and quite, quite clean - it gets used maybe two or three times a week but since the SWG addition maybe only three times over the past two weeks (it's been cold and stormy). But again the gazebo keep the rainwater out of the pool too.

Oh yeah - I wanted to check the CYA. Last I checked (on salt add-day) it was 60 so a hair on the low side according to the Water Balance for SWG article at Poll School. I'm going to do a full set of tests today and will post the numbers. I'm shooting for an FC of around 5. Today will be after two days of a seven hour SWG run time so I'll see what numbers I'm getting now. I was at 5 hours before and getting consistent 3.5s.

Mac,

You will have a noticeable decrease in FC use, if you increase your CYA from 60 to 70..

Keep in mind that it is impossible to have a "stable" FC when using a SWCG. The SWCG just makes a constant amount of FC per day. But each day is different.. The weather is different, the bather load is different, if you add water, the volume is different, etc.

The best you can do is make sure your FC never goes too low and try to maintain your target level.. I never worry if I have a little too much FC.. The only thing I make sure of is that it never gets to my minimum.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim. In that case I'm miles ahead of the game here. All last year and during the start of this year I was forever dipping down to 1.5s daily. I "figured it out" late in the season last year and didn't care too much about it this year since I knew the SWG was coming. I'll get the CYA upped. And post al my numbers later here. I know my pH is high right now so I'll bring that back first, then test (it's up around 8). Thought I'd mention it now in case that had direct implications on the FC generation - pool school stressed pH as one of the very important things to monitor.

Here's where our little pool is at today and my attack mode once the filter kicks in later here today.

Salt - 2800ppm (Pool math suggests I add 4 more lbs which I will do)
FC - 6 (Hooray! We might have found the right setting for the SWG afterall.....I'll keep monitoring. There was no poll use yesterday.)
pH - 8 (Will be adding 5.9oz of Muriatic Acid when the pump starts up)
CH - 250
TA - 120 (Pool math says fixing pH will address this)
CYA - 55 (Sock is in the pool already with enough to bring it up to 70)

Let me know if there is anything I am not noticing here or need to check/do.

I never worry if I have a little too much FC..

Me too Jim. I tell myself every excuse in the book to be on the higher end of the scale on any given day. Gonna be hot tomorrow, a storm's comin, pool party all weekend, etc etc

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.