Ecostar Motor Replacement

Dec 6, 2013
My pool pump motor is beyond repair, I noticed it was peeling/rusting, took it apart, cleaned it and replaced the seals but is still making a screeching noise.
Do I need to buy the Hayward or is there a substitute?

Motor Part # SPX3400Z1ECM

It’s seven years old, not sure what you mean by automation.
ProLogic or AquaPlus. Big metal box on the wall that controls stuff like the pump.

Do you just program the pump from the pump control panel?

The problem with doing a motor replacement is that the motor and drive and other parts are so expensive and the time to break it down and rebuild it.

I would probably go with the Tristar VS. It should fit the existing unions.

ProLogic or AquaPlus. Big metal box on the wall that controls stuff like the pump.

Do you just program the pump from the pump control panel?

The problem with doing a motor replacement is that the motor and drive and other parts are so expensive and the time to break it down and rebuild it.

I would probably go with the Tristar VS. It should fit the existing unions.
Thanks, all programming is directly in the pump, no external automation equipment.
I was hoping there would be a “generic” motor that would fit the flange mount. The replacement one is about $400.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would probably go with the 2.7 hp TriStar VS.
Hi James

I kept looking and found two options for a replacement motor with an integrated controller VGreen (ECM27SQU) and Neptune (NPTQ270), both with exact same specs for about $600-$700. I may go this way from a cost and being ecofriendly not trowing the pump part out into the trash.

Asand, have you made a decision on what you're going to do w your current pump? Since you do not have automation, you can go w any new pump. I would HIGHLY consider the Pentair line of pumps too.

Last thing. Since your ecostar is 7 yrs old, buying an expensive part for it is like replacing the motor on a car w 300,000 miles. B4 too long, you're going to be replacing everything else on the pump. good luck

Asand, have you made a decision on what you're going to do w your current pump? Since you do not have automation, you can go w any new pump. I would HIGHLY consider the Pentair line of pumps too.

Last thing. Since your ecostar is 7 yrs old, buying an expensive part for it is like replacing the motor on a car w 300,000 miles. B4 too long, you're going to be replacing everything else on the pump. good luck
Hi, I have not had to replace it yet. I slowed it down to 2,000 rpms and cleaned the filter and it is working ok. I'd like to think that cleaning it and replacing the seals did the trick. I understand your point however if you replace the motor with something like the one in the link below I think is a good option as the rest of the pump is a non-mechanical/electrical component that should last for a long-long time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.