Ecostar 3400 variable speed Drive question.

Dec 23, 2016
St Aug, FL
Long story short but 3rd time we have had lightning take pool equipment out.
We found all of the breakers tripped and Omnilogic screen wouldnt power up did the troubleshooting and points out that the main circuit board is bad. I was trying to get my pump running without automation (we have never done that) But the pump readout says loss communications which ok that was obvious. Also says low voltage check wires between drive and display. Using the troubleshooting that i read for that pump said if you show low voltage but you have 240 volts present. Replace the drive. Any advice on this? Theres no way the automation being out can cause any of this is there? or could it be programming of the pump? I didnt want to order a new drive just to figure out the one i have is good. My 2ndary pump which is used for waterfall, bubblers etc. looks like it only comes on through automation and there is no way i can turn it on manually to even cycle water for now.

Long story short but 3rd time we have had lightning take pool equipment out.
We found all of the breakers tripped and Omnilogic screen wouldnt power up did the troubleshooting and points out that the main circuit board is bad.

You can see if B&L Enterprises will repair your board.

I was trying to get my pump running without automation (we have never done that) But the pump readout says loss communications which ok that was obvious. Also says low voltage check wires between drive and display. Using the troubleshooting that i read for that pump said if you show low voltage but you have 240 volts present. Replace the drive. Any advice on this?

It is expensive to replace and EcoStar drive. Consider replacing it with a TriStar VS pump.

Theres no way the automation being out can cause any of this is there? or could it be programming of the pump?

I doubt it.

My 2ndary pump which is used for waterfall, bubblers etc. looks like it only comes on through automation and there is no way i can turn it on manually to even cycle water for now.

Move the waterfall pump power to the line side of its relay to run it and use the CB to turn it on and off until you get other things fixed.

"Move the waterfall pump power to the line side of its relay to run it and use the CB to turn it on and off until you get other things fixed."
my second pump appears to be the Hayward Tristar VS but the one that cannot be controlled via a user interface unfortunately. I dont see that any relays in the Omnilogic control this only those small wires that come from the circuit board ive removed. Is there a way to jumper this thing on high or low speed?

Attachments

• TristarPump.jpg
    TristarPump.jpg
    486.5 KB · Views: 5
First, really sorry on your lightening hits...I read somewhere that FL has the most L hits in the entire US....

Question, are these direct or near direct or errant lightening [arc's anywhere from 20-30ft+]. There is nothing you can do for either direct or near direct [10-15ft or less] lightening hits. But for errant lightening and all electrical surges and spikes, and Home Surge Protection Device can really help you. Lightening rods and roof set-up is another option for more drastic issues...3 hits, that warrants it for me.

Next, you'll need to pull the panel and determine what has been fried and replace. I would also examine all my wiring, and that means looking in the conduits too. How old is your EcoStar? If out of warranty, I would buy the TriStar 2.7HP. It's a simple plug'n play and uses the same unions and plumbing.

Finally, once you get your panel and automation up and running, you are ready for your pumps and other..

.Last questions: How many of your nbors have been hit by lightening ? What time span has the 3 l-hits occurred?

Good luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.