Ecofinish or Epoxy coating on Hybrid pool with blisters?

Waynemad

Jun 8, 2020
Burlington, ON
I have a hybrid pool with a lot of osmotic blisters. No leaks yet. Bottom is in pretty good shape. At some point it has been plastered and repainted as I can see light green beneath a layer of what I guess is plaster in one or two small places and on the concrete steps which I have successfully repaired and painted.

It seems that there are two solutions for the wall both of which require grinding out the blisters, filling and sanding after which I have had two recommendations and quotes: Epoxy coating of the panels or Ecofinish.

I should add that at 71 I don't need a pool that will last 20 years because I likely won't LOL

So three questions here:
1. Any preference as to method?
If I epoxy, should I epoxy fill over the rubber seals between panels
2. Can I just use Ecofinish on the walls? The bottom is in great shape so it seems a share to sandblast and Ecofinish and I do like the blue wall white bottom but that is minor compared to the cost based on square footage.

One of the two local Ecofinish guys clearly did not know the type of pool as he thought that there was a silicone seal between the wall and bottom and the Ecofinish torch would cause a leak. The other wants to do the whole pool as he has done it before.

Thanks in advance. Great website

While I had pools in previous houses this type is new to me

Be very wary of fixing your pool using EcoFinish. @STLPool2017 had a horrible experience with his 80's vintage hybrid pool. See this thread and others he posted to -

He eventually got it fixed but I believe it took him 2 years and lawsuits to make it happen -

Unfortunately, hybrid pools are not that common anymore and there are few pool companies capable enough and knowledgable enough to do fixes right. @sktn77a had his hybrid pool converted to a gunite pool.

Reactions: Waterfan
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.