ecofinish aquabright feel

CalebM

Aug 12, 2018
Natick
I'm considering a gunite pool but the one thing holding me back is the reported rough surface of all the finishing options.

I've read through threads and read a little about aquabright and its "orange peel" finish. I'm curious if anyone can provide a more detailed description?

Even in the product marketing, they don't really highlight the soft feel of the finish, although it is mentioned way down their list of product features.

I'd like to have a vinyl-like smoothness or at least a surface that won't scratch and scrape at all, even with long extended time playing in the pool (volleyball, pushing off sides with feet, flips in shallow end with feet scraping the bottom, etc.)

The roughness of the Aquabright can be adjusted at the time of installation as it depends on the feed rate of material and how many passes are made with the “torch”. It’s not uncommon for A/B to be installed with ledges and steps that are “rough” and vertical walls that are smooth. The Aquabright applicator should be well versed enough in the art of the process to get you the exact feel you’re looking for.

By the way, not all plaster finishes are “rough”. Standard PebbleTec is rough but PebbleFina is quite smooth. Hydrazzo polished plaster is smooth as silk.

Much appreciated. Thank you for introducing me to Hydrazzo. I had never heard of that and my PB did not mention it.

Am I splitting hairs trying to understand the difference between PebbleFina and PrimeraStone and Hydrazzo or Durazzo?

What the differences in terms or smoothness, price, maintenance and longevity?

Much appreciated. Thank you for introducing me to Hydrazzo. I had never heard of that and my PB did not mention it.

Am I splitting hairs trying to understand the difference between PebbleFina and PrimeraStone and Hydrazzo or Durazzo?

What the differences in terms or smoothness, price, maintenance and longevity?

The final decision will come down to what PB you choose and what finishing product they offer. Most people don’t get too hung up on the plaster finish during the initial design phase as there are other concerns that dominate the process. Once you’ve chosen a PB, you can and should expect them to give you list a of pools that you can go visit and physically see the work they have done. At that point you can find a pool with your desired finish product and see how it feels. More important than look & feel is the quality and experience of the plaster subcontractor used to do the work. I would much rather have a plain white plaster finish in a pool done by a pro that knows what their doing and has decades of experience than get a high end finish installed by a moron. The skill and quality of the installer, along with proper start-up technique, is far more determinant of a successful plaster finish than the product being used. Plastering is as much an art as it is a science.

All of those plaster options are considered high-end finishes and will typically add about $12,000 or more to your build. Aquabright is also considered a high-end finish and will cost just as much (mainly because Aquabright requires a plaster surface to be installed anyway).

great advice above about the paster installers. We had AB done as a retrofit to our pool. The biggest issues we have with the finish is due to the crappy plaster job. The plaster crew was here less than 2 and a half hours....

in retrospect, we should have refused to pay ...

We are happy with it now, everyone says the pool looks great, BUT BUT I know they took advantage of us

The final decision will come down to what PB you choose and what finishing product they offer. Most people don’t get too hung up on the plaster finish during the initial design phase as there are other concerns that dominate the process. Once you’ve chosen a PB, you can and should expect them to give you list a of pools that you can go visit and physically see the work they have done. At that point you can find a pool with your desired finish product and see how it feels. More important than look & feel is the quality and experience of the plaster subcontractor used to do the work. I would much rather have a plain white plaster finish in a pool done by a pro that knows what their doing and has decades of experience than get a high end finish installed by a moron. The skill and quality of the installer, along with proper start-up technique, is far more determinant of a successful plaster finish than the product being used. Plastering is as much an art as it is a science.

All of those plaster options are considered high-end finishes and will typically add about $12,000 or more to your build. Aquabright is also considered a high-end finish and will cost just as much (mainly because Aquabright requires a plaster surface to be installed anyway).
Great point

Great point. As far as I can find, there is only one ecofinish installer in Massachusetts and they are very new. Something to consider.

Great point

Great point. As far as I can find, there is only one ecofinish installer in Massachusetts and they are very new. Something to consider.

From all TFP has learned about AquaBright finishes, two things are clear -

1. It rarely works out well on a replaster/remodel job, AND

2. An inexperience A/B installer is a very risky choice.

If I were in your shoes, I’d cross A/B off my list...

I'd have to disagree, the Eco Finish Auqabright Finish performs admirably in a refinish and new construction. It does NOT require plaster underneath. In fact, most people prefer the texture / feel of Eco to Pebble Tech is Sheen. And yes, it can be made very smooth by applying heat at the end of the install, stools can be made glass smooth so they will not snag a suit.

I'd have to disagree, the Eco Finish Auqabright Finish performs admirably in a refinish and new construction. It does NOT require plaster underneath. In fact, most people prefer the texture / feel of Eco to Pebble Tech is Sheen. And yes, it can be made very smooth by applying heat at the end of the install, stools can be made glass smooth so they will not snag a suit.

It doesn't require plaster underneath but Gunite/shotcrete is way too rough to directly coat with AquaBright. I had trouble with Pebble finishes being too rough and the texture showing through.

The AquaBright body suit I made is another story though :party:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.