amymeme

Jun 10, 2008
Finger Lakes, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
First of all - my pool has not been used since summer of 2020. Last year way too much rain and very cold May into June and long horizontal tear on my 18 year old liner. So I sucked my thumb and sulked. Then had to have melanoma removed from my back and could not put any force on the skin for 2 months. But now - I have a brand new liner. Pool is within 8"do full.

Soo...I knew we were having DE in the pool and vaguely remember possibly seeing DE in the pump. Disassembled the whole thing, bought new diaphragm gasket and screws, ordered new c-clips and O rings for bump shaft. Filled up my filter tank to soak the fingers and found the water running out the elbow that would go to the pump. But - wonder of wonders, stuck a flat blade screw driver behind the locking tab took both hands laced together under the elbow and lifted - with some force it let go and came out much to my surprise and infinite gratitude!

But - the flapper seems to open and close easily with motion. And I can't get the valve out of the elbow yet.

Any thoughts - hints. Does that valve look defective?

I'm holding my breath because with my over 40 year pool, I expected the pool company to run into so many problems they would say not fixable. So far, even they were surprised at the condition of the pool and things have gone smoothly.

Attachments

• 20220619_172317.jpg
    20220619_172317.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220619_172331.jpg
    20220619_172331.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Oo oo ooo ... Husband soaked the valve in hot water and was able to get the valve out!!!

It's intact, brass is pitted, there is very tiny tear in the rubber where the flap articulates. I will replace.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.