Easytouch vs Intellitouch Quote

jaymac

Aug 29, 2019
Delray Beach, FL
Hi All,

About to sign a contract for a new SWG pool and one of the final issues to iron out is which automation system. The first quote I received was for the Pentair Easy Touch. Based upon some information here, I asked the build to switch to the Intellitouch. The new system increased the quote by $1,800. Does that sound right? They said even though the systems are about the same price the intellitouch requires "additional components"?

Easytouch Quote
AUTOMATION - PENTAIR EASYTOUCH 4 W/O SALT, CONTROL PANEL, 2 QTY. ACTUATORS, 2 QTY. TEMP SENSORS, SCREENLOGIC. - $3100

Intellitouch Quote
AUTOMATION - PENTAIR INTELLITOUCH LOAD CENTER, i9 PLUS 3 CONTROL PANEL, W/O SALT, SCREENLOGIC - $4900

If it is right, is the $1800 worth it? What benefit would I receive?

Thanks,
J

The newest automation system from Pentair is Intellicenter. The two you got quotes on are older systems.

The Intellicenter cost should be comparable to the ET with Screenlogic.

Jay,

The two system that you were quoted are not even close to being the same, so there is no way to compare the two.

The IntelliCenter is the new automation system from Pentair and it is the one I would install on a new pool... That said, I suspect the the EasyTouch will do what 90% of pool owners need done...

You can't just buy a system and hope it works... If you can tell us all about the equipment, water features, light, etc that you have, we can tell you what the minimum requirement for your pool would be.. It is kind of like buying a car.. You need to know if the base model will work for you, or if you need some special options.

Thanks,

Jim R.

My Intellicenter is being installed as we speak. I dont know the cost per component as it is a new build, but it was pretty much the same price (maybe $200 more) as the Intellitouch w/ Screen Logic.

Hi Jim,

We will have:

* 12K gal SWG pool
* Spa with 6 blowers
* Pentair SuperFlo 2HP VS Pump
* Pentair Clean and Clear 200 Filter
* Pentair IC20 SWG
* 2 bubblers
* A single water fall
* 2 multi color lights in the pool, one in the spa
* Pentair MasterTemp 400K BTU Natural Gas Heater

Thanks for the help!

-Jason

Jason,

A SuperFlo VS is not designed to be controlled by Pentair automation.. it does not have an RS-485 port... You will need an 3 HP IntelliFlo... Ask your pool builder how he plans on controlling the SuperFlo pump's speeds...

An IC20 SWCG will work, but is really too small for your pool. You need the IC40. Either SWCG will require the use of the Pump/Filter relay.

I suspect you will have one blower and 6 jets... :mrgreen: The blower will need a relay...

Pool builders in Florida apparently have a "size" issues... They always install the smallest filter possible... Sigh!! The bigger the filter the less you have to clean it.

2 bubbler will use valve A (Will need actuator if you want to automate them)

Your waterfall will use valve B (Will need an actuator is you want to automate it)

Since you have a Spa you will need two actuators.. One for the Return valve and one for the Intake valve..

Each light that you want to control individually will need one relay and one transformer. You can use one relay and one transformer if you want them all to come on at the same time and be the same color.. I assume you will want 3 relays so you can have a light show...

The heater does not need a (High Voltage) relay..

You will need ScreenLogic to control things with your PC, phone or tablet. Having an EasyTouch, without ScreenLogic, is like have a horse, without a saddle...

An EasyTouch 4 come with 4 relays.. The pump/Filter relay plus Aux 1, 2 and 3. In your above list you have already used five relays, and you don't have a pad light, landscape lights or any spares for future ideas.. So, that eliminates using an ET 4, you will need an ET 8...

For reference, this is the system you need...

Plus two more valve actuators and three light transformers.

I suggest you look at the IntelliCenter, but the above equipment will work for what you need.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks so much. Very helpful for a newbie. Turns out the pump thing was a miscommunication and I am getting the pump you recommended.

One question about the relays. What is the 5 relays I am currently using? VS Pump, Lights, Bubbler, Waterfall, and Spa? Just trying to confirm at 5 relays the lights are all using the same one.

Thanks,
Jason

Jason,

What do you mean "currently" using? VS pump, bubbler, waterfall and spa need no relays.. You can waste an Aux circuit with a relay on them, but they need no relays... Lights do, and Spa the blower does.

If you run all your lights off of one relay, then you only need a total of 3 relays... the Pump Filter relay for your SWCG, plus one for your spa blower and one for the lights..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'm scratching my head over the $1800 worth of "additional components" the contractor thinks the intellitouch requires...

I've used an Intellitouch and Easytouch on my pool and can swap them out at will. The only additional component I need for the Intellitouch is an indoor control panel ($500) since the outdoor unit has no built-in display and I don't use screenlogic. If I had screenlogic I would not need anything else. Now, my Intellitouch panel is a load-center (has circuit breakers) and you can buy an Easytouch that is not... maybe that's the difference??

Jason,

Make sure any Pentair automation system you buy has a load center, and an internal salt cell power supply.

They make a 'lite' version of the EasyTouch, that has no load center and it tastes just like lite salad dressing... something you just do not want.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.