Easytouch to Intellitouch conversion

Proadmin

Mar 15, 2019
Tucson, AZ
I currently have an EasyTouch 4 but need to add an additional valve actuator. Is it possible to convert and EasyTouch to an Intellitouch without relacing the entire controller? Can I just purchase teh motherboard and personality module and install in teh existing EasyTouch enclosure?

P,

Welcome to TFP... A great place to learn all about your pool automation.. :shark:

It looks like you could, but I don't know for sure, so let's see if @ogdento knows...

Sure looks like an expensive way to add a valve driver. With a DPDT relay and transformer, you can add your own.. (And you really don't even need the transformer.)

Tell us more about what you have now, and what it is you want to do and we might be able to provide some more ideas..

We need to know things like... How many actuators are you using now? Do you have a pool and spa or just a pool. What is it that you want to be able to control with your extra actuator?

Are you currently using all four of your relays? Do you have a solar system?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hey guys,
Yes it's definitely possible to do that - but like Jim says it seems like an expensive way to add another valve. You'd also probably want to get an intellitouch indoor controller, so it's going to get even more expensive (you can use a screenlogic to do your programming, but i wouldn't have an intellitouch w/o an indoor panel).

This is just semantics, but the Easytouch "controller" is really just the bezel/mainboard... the giant electrical sub-panel box with all the relays and breakers is considered the "load center". You can install the intellitouch controller in the Easytouch's load center, re-using the system power supply (12/18/24 volt transformer), relays, swg transfomer, and breakers (I've done it a dozen times or so). You do have to make sure the bezel matches the low voltage breaker configuration (the older style was a row of 3... the new style is a square of 4). And the indoor easytouch panel and/or wireless remote will not work with the intellitouch.

Jim's done all kinds of tricky stuff to his system... let's get his questions answered and go from there. I think he'll get you fixed up quick and cheap!

Tom

OK Jim.... Let's see if I can fill in the holes here. A little backgroud.

Current setup is an Easy Touch 4 Pool/ Spa, but we don't have a spa. I inherited this when I bought the house, ut they didn't really have it set up correctly. This is a bit of a hack of a config that a guy did for me to add the SWG and add a couple actuators to get the suction side cleaner operating properly. He's long gone, as is the Pentair "guru" who help engineer it. We added solar as part of a a major solar energy conversion for the entire property a few wees ago, but haven't automated it since we are using all 4 valve actuators already.

Pump: Intelliflow 2

SWG: IntelliChlor

Valves & Actuators:
Skimmer
Floor Debris Drain
In-Floor Pop-up Cleaners
Suction Side Cleaner

Remote: ScreenLogic

No heater (other that the yet to be integrated solar).

The setup is a bit of a hack, as I mentioned. He had to do some funky stuff because it's an EasyTouch, so we didn't have as much flexibility on the programming as we would have if it was an IntelliTouch.

The 4 "modes" of operation:
"Normal" - the skimmer is active, the SWG is on and the pump runs at 1500 RPM.
"Floor cleaner" - The Floor Debris Drain is is activated along with with the In-Floor cleaner and the skimmer is turned off. Pump runs at 3000RPM.
"Skimmer" - Same as "Normal" but with teh pump running at 3000RPM
"Cleaner" - Manually activated - Suction side floor cleaner (currently set up on the "Spa" circuit.

So we essentially have three "source" circuits - Skimmer, Debris Drain and suction side cleaner - and 2 returns - normal side jets and the in-floor cleaner.
As such, I've got all 4 actuators in use.

What I'm trying to accomplish is to free up the Solar actuator for the new solar installation. That means adding a 5th actuator, probably for the floor cleaner, so I can use the solar actuator for it's intended purpose. My gut instinct is to replace teh EasyTouch with an intellitouch so we can program it properly and do away with the weird hacks. But I'm VERY open to other options like added a SPDT relay and connecting it to a feature circuit to free up the solar actuator.

Attached is a photo of the existing controller board for reference.

I'm pretty handy - I'm a computer scientist with a electrical engineer degree, so I'm competent modifying the control system and programming. But I'm not very familiar with teh Pentair systems (steep learning curve the past couple weeks trying to figure out how this was set up and what is possible to integrate the solar.

Thanks in advance for ideas and advice!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2897.JPG
    IMG_2897.JPG
    481.1 KB · Views: 15
P,

Not sure I fully understand your "hack" but I can now see your problem...

Here is a simple circuit that you can add that will allow you to have an extra valve driver..

full

If you have an unused Aux circuit you can use it to control the relay in the extra valve circuit.

The only way to use a Feature Circuit is if you can use one of the Special Purpose outputs... Feature Circuits have no relays of their own, so by themselves can't turn on a relay. But, as an example, you can have a Feature Circuit turn on the Aux Extra relay output.. But in your case, you plan to use solar, so that relay is out.

I used a separate transformer only because I did not want to violate the warranty on my system at the time. Now that it is out of warranty, I can't see any reason not to tie right into the ET's 24 VAC power supply..

I'll send you a PM..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim! The plumbing is a bit weird on this pool, so perhaps my description was a bit lacking. I'd draw a diagram but alas, I'm still figuring out what is connected to what.
But that added relay solution is exactly what I was looking for. I guess I didn't understand the difference between an Aux and a Feature circuit. Thanks for the insight. Like I said, steep learning curve at this point on the Pentair system.

Is there a Pentair relay for this applications, or should I just source a generic SPDT relay and wire it in?

--Eric

Eric,

If you have an ET4, you only have 4 relays available... The Pump/Filter relay and 3 Aux relays.. Aux 1, 2 and 3. Aux relays have a relay down in the load center that allow you to control stuff that uses 220 or 120 volts.. Feature circuits have no relays.. They can be used to change the speeds on the IntelliFlo pump, and other things internal to the main PCB that do not require High Voltage/ High Current relays.

Here is an example...

full

You can see that Feature 1 is now called Skim Low, Feature 2 is Skim High, (These control the speed of the pump) and Feature 3 turns the Waterfall on or off..

None of these need a high voltage relay to work, because it is all internal to the main PCB.

I suspect that a better plumbing job, you could do away with your "weird" actuator requirements, but if your plumbing is like most I have seen here, it would be a lot of work as most equipment pads are plumbed by people that know they will never have to come back.. :)

I used a Pentair 2-speed pump relay that I had available for another project. They are DPDT, and mount right in... but they cost about $100 bucks for a $5 relay...

Did you get my PM (Called a conversation now...)

Thanks,

Jim R.

hey Eric,
You might get lucky and already have a 2-speed relay in your load center if the original owner started with a 2 speed pump. (The DPST relays are Omron G7L-2A-BUBJ and the "2-speed" DPDT ones are G7J-2A2B).
Tom

No luck on the 2-speed relay. :-( But I'm figuring this mess out slowly but surely.
I'm sort of inclined to replace the controller with an Intellitouch. The ET4 seems like it's pretty limited and wasn't the right controller in the first place.

If you are considering a complete replacement of the ET, consider the IntelliCenter. It is the newest version of automation by Pentair.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.