Easytouch / Single Speed Pump Replacement Issues w/ Intelliflo

DBB

Jul 8, 2015
Frisco/TX
So, some time back, I upgraded my Pentair Compool box with the Easytouch 8 upgrade, and all was well. This panel upgrade kept the Compool Cp3400 transformer panel.

Recently, I replaced the single speed pump with an Intelliflow VSF. While I have an initial program working to turn the filter pump on for daily runs, I cannot for the life of me get my AUX settings to allow control of different speed settings. I’ve been on the phone with Pentair several times to walk me through things, which verified my thinking was correct when trying to program on my own. So far, I still have not gotten the AUX settings to work.

Other posts I’ve read allude to the fact that the Intelliflo needs to be powered directly, and not through a relay. This makes me think that the pump installer may have put the Intelliflo back on the filter pump relay. Wouldn’t this explain my not being able to program anything other than the basic pool off/on function?

Problem is, I’ve not been able to find any schematics on how to properly wire the intelliflo pump to the Easytouch - the pump manual does not cover it, nor does the Compool to Easytouch upgrade/operation manual. The scant wiring info I’ve found deals only with the standard Easytouch panel, which is laid out quite differently from the upgrade, which lacks the same connection blocks, breaker capability, etc.

For background, the Intelliflo is a dedicated filter pump - I have a separate pump for the water features, and have moved to a robotic cleaner. As far as I know, separate relays control the filter pump, the 2nd pump, spa aerator, and lights. It’s been a while since I’ve been in there, so I’ll have to open it up to verify.

I guess I could figure out how to bypass the relay assuming this is my problem, but I would still like the “F” button on the panel to work when in service mode.

Does anyone have any schematics, photos, or other instruction that might help? Also, do I need a separate breaker? I’m not sure the one offered by Pentair would even fit in my old Compool box, unless they make one that fits a DIN rail, where my relay connection blocks live.

Thanks for any assistance offered!

DBB

Last edited:
DBB,

I am sure your Compool system had some kind of pump/filter relay.

I have not actually seen the upgrade kit, but my guess is that the board that came with it is marked with a connection for each Aux relay and one spot for the Pump/Filter relay.

Just follow the the two coil wires from the Pump/Filter plug on the new EasyTouch card back to the relay...

To test and see if the the pump is wired to the Pump/Filter relay, simply go into the Service mode. If the pump's display is blank, then it is wired to the relay.. If the pump' display works, then you are good to go..

Another test.. Go look at the pump when it is running and you are NOT in the Service mode.. The pump's display should say "Display Not Active".. If it does you are good. This means the pump is being controlled by EasyTouch.

You should use Feature circuits to change speeds on the pump..

Basically you set the speed for the Pool Circuit to the slowest speed you ever want to run.. I would not go below 1000 RPM. Then you just use Feature Circuits to assign other speeds

Here are mine..

You schedule Pool (or Spa) for the entire time you want the pump to run..

Then you just turn on or off Feature circuits to change speeds. The pump will always run the faster of any inputs.

Thanks,

Jim R.

DBB,

I am sure your Compool system had some kind of pump/filter relay.

I have not actually seen the upgrade kit, but my guess is that the board that came with it is marked with a connection for each Aux relay and one spot for the Pump/Filter relay.

Just follow the the two coil wires from the Pump/Filter plug on the new EasyTouch card back to the relay...

To test and see if the the pump is wired to the Pump/Filter relay, simply go into the Service mode. If the pump's display is blank, then it is wired to the relay.. If the pump' display works, then you are good to go..

Another test.. Go look at the pump when it is running and you are NOT in the Service mode.. The pump's display should say "Display Not Active".. If it does you are good. This means the pump is being controlled by EasyTouch.

You should use Feature circuits to change speeds on the pump..

Basically you set the speed for the Pool Circuit to the slowest speed you ever want to run.. I would not go below 1000 RPM. Then you just use Feature Circuits to assign other speeds

Here are mine..

You schedule Pool (or Spa) for the entire time you want the pump to run..

Then you just turn on or off Feature circuits to change speeds. The pump will always run the faster of any inputs.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks, Jim,

Yes, the old single speed filter pump definitely was on its own relay, as it would sometimes stick on in during winter…. The other three relays service the 2nd pump, the lights, and the spa aerator.

I have no electrical sub-panel at the equipment location. Everything was added to the main cutler-hammer box for the house, back in the garage. There is a breaker for the pool lights, and one for the entire compool box. If I really need to add a dedicated breaker for the intelliflo pump, it would have to be inside the compool housing itself - but the Pentair breakers are designed for the actual easytouch load center, not the high voltage DIN rail in the converted compool box. So I need some direction on a DIN format gfci breaker that meets Pentair’s specs.

I’ve programmed things pretty much the way you’ve shown, with the pool circuit having the lower RPMs, so that’s what I have scheduled to run everyday. It’s just when I switch to another AUX or Feature I’ve set up having a higher RPM, nothing happens. This is why I believe the pump has been wired to the old relay - the pump would only get power when the physical pool circuit/relay is activated. So with no power to the pump using the other settings, it’s not going to matter what goes out on the RS485 comm cable.

Am I thinking through this correctly?
The comm connection is definitely working, as I get the “display not active” on the pump when running. I’m not sure what the pump display shows when in service mode, but will check.

I have spent an inordinate amount of time on the phone with Pentair in search of high voltage schematics showing the pump wiring to the easytouch, but am beating a dead horse, there, as they apparently “do not exist.”

I guess what I really need to do is open up the compool/easytouch and trace things out, and find the compool wiring diagram for the relay connection block pin-outs to get an idea of the terminals needed to bypass the relay (I’d probably go ahead and remove that relay, too).

But with no pump relay, would the Filter button still work when in service mode? Sad to say that’s about as far as my thinking takes me…

DBB,

Does the pump's display get power when in the Service mode or not??? If it does, the pump is NOT wired to the pump/filter relay.

When you go into the Service mode, the pump becomes a standalone unit... I am not sure it will run at all when you press the "F" button.. I have never used the "F" button in the entire time I have had my 3 EasyTouch systems. Just never needed..

Just to be clear.. you don't shut off the Pool circuit and then turn on an aux or feature circuit.. You have them both on at the same time.

The fact that you can't make the pump changes has nothing to do with the Pump/Filter relay.

If you set up a schedule for "Pool" from say 8 am until say 8 pm and setup a speed of say 1000 RPM for Pool.. When the pump comes on at 8 am the pump should run at 1000 RPM until 8 pm.

If you turn on say Feature 1 set to 2000 RPM at 10 am and then turn it off at 11 am.. The pump should increase speed to 2000 PM at 10 am and then go back to 1000 at 11 am..

If you can't get that to work, you are doing something wrong.. We will have to figure out what that is..

Do you have ScreenLogic?? Just makes troubleshooting easier..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Got home and ran out before it got dark. When put into service mode, the pump display says something like "Alarm, loss of power," then goes dark. But then, if I hit the Filter button, the display lights up and gives the initial 0 RPM, so control seems to be returned to the pump. One thing I saw while in Service mode that I've not seen before, is that the panel display appeared as if the pool was running, when nothing actually was (attached).

Yeah, knowing that the higher speed wins, I've also tried using the programmed (higher speed) button in conjunction with the lower speed pool button, and nothing - it stays at the lower pool setting. Not saying that I haven't make a mistake, but it started making sense after having two different Pentair folks walk me through it while I was at the panel.

I use the Filter button all the time when in service mode, like when I open things up to clean cartridges, etc. I'll turn it on to allow me to bleed off air from the filter. Just a habit I've gotten into.

I don't have a screen logic, but rather an Autelis module. Screens look different, but functionality is all there. Used the panel while working with the Pentair folks, though.

Also checked, and besides a breaker for the lights, my breaker panel has two ganged 30A breakers that do in fact control power to the entire panel box. Sounds like an Intelliflo breaker is rated at 20A, so I don't think this is going to fly. I'm going to have to open the box, visually verify the wiring, and figure out the breaker situation.

Attachments

• ETSVC.JPEG
    ETSVC.JPEG
    341.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
DBB,

Your pump is connected so that it does not get power unless the pump/filter relay is closed.. This is wrong.. The pump must get constant AC power.

Find the pump filter relay and just move the wires going to the pump from the load side of the relay over to the line side of the relay.. That is all you need to do.

I'd be glad to help set your pump speeds after you have fixed the power issue.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yeah, that was my point - it’s been wired incorrectly and only gets powered in the one, main pool mode. I think I’ll go ahead and remove the old pump relay, just to get it out of the way if nothing else. And I’ve located a Compool wiring diagram, which should help me sort out the jumble of wiring to the various jumper blocks on the DIN rail, so I know what I need to do, now.

So what about the breaker? Everything I’ve read says that the Intelliflo needs a dedicated 20A breaker. As it stands right now, I’ve got what amounts to a “penny in the fuse” should the pump need to trip. Know where I can find an acceptable DIN rail breaker?

Appreciate the offer on the speed settings. Thought the problem was me - I’ve been trying and retrying settings so much, I think I could do it in my sleep. May use your screen shot as a starting point. Originally used the pump’s GPM flow setting to match turn rate calculations, but it wasn’t enough for the feeder to chlorinate effectively. It’s gonna take a bit to find the sweet spot. -after I get the wiring corrected…

Thanks for sticking with me!

DBB,

In theory, the IntelliFlo should be on its own GFCI breaker.. But that is really only important if the breaker intermittently trips.. In your case I'd use what you've got and see if you run into any tripping issues.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I opened up the box today, and yep, the pool guy still had the Intelliflo wired to the relay. In fact, I don't even think he was in the box at all and just wired at the pump from the existing whip and called it a day. Anyway, after pulling the old pump relay and wiring the Intelliflow straight to power, it looks like I'm in business - the other speed that I had programed to an AUX works like a champ.

In service mode, the pool still shows to be on, though, like shown in the picture from my earlier post - is that normal? Other than that, I'd still like to find a GFCI 20A breaker that would fit my box.

Anyway, thanks for all the info!

-DBB

DBB,

When you are in AUTO and the pool or spa mode the pump's display should say "Display not Active"

When you go into the Service Mode, the pump should stop and the display should show the pump is in the standalone mode.. You can then control the pump from the pump's display.

Pool or Spa may still show up on the little LCD, but the AUTO should now show SERVICE..

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.