EasyTouch NO COMM error after power outage

Christine F

Jul 8, 2021
I've checked prior threads and realize @ogdento is somewhat of an expert on this but couldn't figure out my issue by reading the earlier posts.

I have a pentair EasyTouch remote 520547 FCC ID: P4HEASYTOUCH2A.

Pumps, chlorine generator, etc are all Pentair. Pool is 6 years old. Everything is working normally after the recent power outage except the remote, which displays "NO COMM". I tried resetting the system from the outdoor control panel. When that didn't work, I shut off power to the outdoor control panel to reset it that way. Nope. I went through the steps to send the wireless address from the control panel and receive it on the remote. That process timed out.

I took the cover off the antennae piece "clam shell". The Power LED is ON. The RF and 485 LEDs are blinking together for 6 blinks, then the 485 blinks a couple extra times on its own, then a pause and then they go back to blinking 6 times together.

Can anyone interpret? Is there more troubleshooting to be done?

I would be interested in upgrading to get something where I can operate the pool from an app on my phone/tablet so if there is a solution that can also help accomplish that goal, it would be terrific.

hey Christine, welcome to TFP!

I'm assuming you found the reset instructions from @Pool Clown?

it may not matter because that blink pattern may be the "blink of death"... the 2 leds for 485 and link should never blink on at the same time. I've got a couple of other dead ones that do the same 6-blink pattern that I haven't had time to dig into.

for a replacement card, there are two versions and you want pentair 520946z (the one with the Laird chipset)... unless you do what @Jimrahbe will inevitably suggest - which is get a screenlogic and throw your handheld remote in the trash (but don't actually throw it in the trash... the handheld will fetch 100-150 on ebay, and i'd love to tinker on the dead card if it's getting tossed anyway)

-Tom

hey Christine, welcome to TFP!

I'm assuming you found the reset instructions from @Pool Clown?

it may not matter because that blink pattern may be the "blink of death"... the 2 leds for 485 and link should never blink on at the same time. I've got a couple of other dead ones that do the same 6-blink pattern that I haven't had time to dig into.

for a replacement card, there are two versions and you want pentair 520946z (the one with the Laird chipset)... unless you do what @Jimrahbe will inevitably suggest - which is get a screenlogic and throw your handheld remote in the trash (but don't actually throw it in the trash... the handheld will fetch 100-150 on ebay, and i'd love to tinker on the dead card if it's getting tossed anyway)

-Tom
Thanks Tom!
Yes, followed Pool Clown's very well written instructions.

Thanks for confirming (I trust your instinct) that the card is dead. I think I do want the ScreenLogic!! I just looked it up and ordered it from a local pool supply store.

Let me know I'll be happy to send you my dead card if you can tell me where to ship it.

Hey Christine you're very welcome!

I don't have a screenlogic (yet) because my Intellitouch panel is dead simple but I'm beginning to appreciate it's utility, especially since it doesn't cost much more than replacing the handheld remote parts. The ability to monitor the pool when not home and that it makes programming the Easytouch much easier just sweetens the deal.

I'll send you a pm about the card, thank you! I've been collecting broken remote bits on ebay with the goal of being able to fix them and keep them out of the garbage stream. Plus, $250 apiece (or worse) for a card that breaks every few seasons is just stupid!

Tom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.