EasyTouch 8 remote won't turn on

Otis Campbell

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 5, 2013
Lewisville, TX
My remote is almost 9 years old. It won't turn on. I've put in new batteries and I've confirmed that they are installed correctly. It still won't turn on. Before it completely stopped working it worked intermittently for a couple of weeks. At that time I thought the batteries were dying. Hoping there's a solution other than replacing. Thanks.

I would bet that the menu/power button has worn out. These membrane keypads do fail, and if it's the menu button then you can't turn it on.

You can open the unit and hack in a new button, but you have to cut it open. @jerryt has a post somewhere showing how he cut it open and then epoxied it back together.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
This was truly a collaborative effort and I appreciate everyone who contributed. @Jimrahbe asked @ogdento to offer some advice. He navigated me to @jerryt.

I read through a number of jerry's threads and found this gem. How to dissemble and repair Pentair Easy Touch 8 button remote There I found great instruction on using a diamond blade and my drill press to open up the controller. @ogdento provided a great table so I knew what keypad pins used which buttons so I knew how to wire my jump wire.

Jerry was kind enough to answer my rudimentary questions in private conversation which gave me the confidence to tackle the hack. I don't have any soldering experience so I enlisted the help of my 19 year old son who has two years of Auto Tech at the high school career center. He did a great job and my remote is working once again.

I used JB Weld Water Weld to seal it up. I'm not sure that's going to be the best solution so I'll keep an eye on that before we sit in the spa with the remote.

Anyway, thanks again for the help in solving this for around $20 rather than $400 for a new remote.

Attachments

• IMG_1273.jpg
    IMG_1273.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 16
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.