Easytouch 8 No Com w/ Intelliflo

TexP51

Mar 3, 2015
Richmond, Tx
Could use some pro advice -
We have a 35,000 gal salt water pool without spa built in 2009 in Houston area. Easytouch 8 automation drives a Intelliflo for filter pump, whisperflo pump for water fall and Pentair booster pump for cleaner. The wired Easytouch inside the house panel currently reads No Com, and the Intelliflo has no response from the Easytouch, and it also allows itseld to run with manual pad on the pump. Acts like it doesn’t see the Easytouch. I can meanwhile turn on the waterfall and cleaner from the Easytouc, and the IC40 turns on with the automation. I’ve tried the connections at pump and panel for the intelliflo data cable. I s This something easy or a motherboard replacement. Looks like anything I might need from a motherboard replacement to a intellicenter upgrade kit appear to all be on backorde with the e-commerce pool stores. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 57320C5C-30D0-43AD-AD13-DD4E47576599.jpeg
    57320C5C-30D0-43AD-AD13-DD4E47576599.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 2671A619-7EDF-4D81-905B-3B4B78BEB497.jpeg
    2671A619-7EDF-4D81-905B-3B4B78BEB497.jpeg
    217.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 03AAA2FA-187D-4E65-9F97-0EE94B8BE5BF.jpeg
    03AAA2FA-187D-4E65-9F97-0EE94B8BE5BF.jpeg
    324.2 KB · Views: 8

Normally, when in the Auto mode, you should see the Pool Circuit or the Spa Circuit on, so that is odd..

In Auto, the pump's display should show "Display not active" and you should not be able to run the pump from the pump's control panel.

Not sure if the two issues are tied together or not, but the first thing you should do is unplug or disconnect everything connected to the J20 com port other than the two wires from the pump itself. The reason for this is we want to know if something is loading down the com port which often happens.

With just the pump connected to J20, and with the system in Auto, look at the pump's display and see if it shows "Display not active". If it does, it means the com port is good and that one of the other connections is the problem. If it does not show display not active, then most likely the comport on the main board is bad.

Unlikely, but it could also be the cable between the pump and the EasyTouch. Could have been eaten by an animal, or have corrosion at the connector end, so it makes sense to check it.

Let us know what you find.

Post more pics if you need more assistance.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Appreciate the comment Jim -
you are correct. When working correctly the Intelliflo reads ‘Display not Active’ if connected to the data cable. I’ve removed the cable ends at the pump and automation, used contact cleaner, and no go - pump still runs on its own. even though the pump is only 6 months old, I replaced the touch panel as a Pentair repair kit, and made no difference. Hate throwing parts at a problem. I’ll open up the Easytouch and unplug the inside control panel from the board and see if that connection is the problem. Thanks for the points to look for. My gut tells me the mother board may be the issue, but don’t want it to be with no parts available. Pentair is definitely having a supply issue to its resellers in the current environment.

The main card can be quickly repaired by several people here at TFP...

Things that get connected to the com port are..

IntelliFlo
IC40 by way of the Surge card in the back of the EasyTouch
Pentair remotes - Looks like you have a wired remote.
Wireless link antennas. If you have ScreenLogic or a wireless remote.

It is not uncommon for the connections to come loose over time, when a lot of different wires sizes are crammed into one connector.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Appreciate the help Mr. Jim.
I went through the Easytouch 8 yesterday. This is a 2008 production version with breaker buss in the lower middle of the cabinet. I removed the salt cell and wired Pentair controller from the data port, and it made no difference. The Intelliflo still is running with all controls being off the pump touchpad. I ran diagnostics and got error code 45. The salt cell card did have some discoloration on the larger plug connection on the red wire part of the 4-wire connection onto the salt card. so I'm back to thinking I may have a bad motherboard, but also concerned about the salt board. Motherboard is a 520657 made in May 2008.

Can you point me to the contact for repairing the motherboard? Also be interested in any estimate on cost and time to have it repaired? For the price of a new motherboard, if one was available, seems like the Pentair Intellicenter Legacy Upgrade should be a better deal. Probably need a 521218 new style salt card to go with it, and that would be around $1250 if they were both available.

The burned spot on the plug is because the pin gets a little corroded, which causes the resistance to go up, which makes more heat, etc, etc...

Let's ask Tom to contact you by PM. Calling @ogdento

Upgrading to the IntelliCenter might make sense, except you'd actually have to find an upgrade kit in stock.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I replaced $50 worth of breakers yesterday. My Easytouch was wired to power each relay from a sub panel breaker with 240v 30a dual-pole running the filter pump and booster pump, 240v 20a dual-pole running Superflo for waterfall, and 120v 20a single pole running easytouch and pool light. I found the 30a breaker had 124.3v on one leg, and only 21v output on other leg at the breaker. Just went ahead and replaced all of the breakers and power is balanced again. Wonder how that impacted motherboard. Installer didn’t use the easytouch’s load center. I went ahead and had Pool Supply Unlimited special order 522046 intellicenter and 521218 salt card from Pentair. If they can’t get these in a few weeks I’ll try seeing if motherboard can be repaired.

Attachments

• 3638E667-FD06-4B8A-A1D5-6A8C49A2FB64.png
    3638E667-FD06-4B8A-A1D5-6A8C49A2FB64.png
    447.6 KB · Views: 7
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.