Easytouch 4 RS-485 Repair

DavidJohn

Dec 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Hi,

After a recent lightning strike in my area, it appears that my EasyTouch RS-485 communication is no longer working. This seems to be a somewhat common problem:

Pentair 520712 Motherboard Com Port Burns Out

Based on the thread above, it looks like the RS-485 chip is located under the LCD.

Has anyone here successfully replaced the RS-485 chip in order to resolve a similar issue? I took a look and it seemed like I would need to desolder the LCD to remove it, so it would be great if someone could provide the RS-485 chip part number so that I could order ahead of any desoldering.

Thanks!

I know there a few other folks on here that have done it (besides me). Just take your time getting the lcd off... but if the worst happens and you destroy it, it's a standard part so there are readily available (and cheap) replacements.

Also see following post. I'd PM jerryt to see if he'd help you.

Also see following post. I'd PM jerryt to see if he'd help you.

Thanks for pointing me to this. I performed the described test and only measured about 0.7 V so I guess that means I need a whole new board unfortunately. So far I haven't found anything to be non-functional other than the RS-485.

The Easytouch motherboards DO NOT have any RS485 surge protection circuits.
So to prevent damage in the first place,
You can install a RS485 surge protector inline with the "Green" and "Yellow" com wires to your Easytouch.

Side marked "output" is connected to the Easytouch motherboard and "Input" is for all your Com devices. The way these work, is that any Surge Current on the "Input" side is routed to the "Cabinet Ground Wire". It is common for manufactures to add these surge circuits to there devices, just did not happen with the easytouch boards...
Ground wire on surge protector goes to cabinet ground. Leave the "Red" and "Black" wires attached to the motherboard.

Attachments

• LRS01-RS485.jpg
    LRS01-RS485.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Techdrawing-ISO-485-P.jpg
    Techdrawing-ISO-485-P.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
The Easytouch motherboards DO NOT have any RS485 surge protection circuits.
So after you install a new motherboard, (Or repair a repairable board)
You can install a RS485 surge protector inline with the "Green" and "Yellow" com wires to your Easytouch.

Side marked "output" is connected to the Easytouch motherboard and "Input" is for all your Com devices.
Ground wire on surge protector goes to cabinet ground. Leave the "Red" and "Black" wires attached to the motherboard.
Where exactly do you physically install the protector? I have green and yellow running everywhere: to the SWG, the IntellipH the pump, ScreenLogic adapter, indoor control panel, etc. I have at least two sets (maybe three?) that meet at the screw terminals on the motherboard.

And my ScreenLogic adapter has an ethernet cable that connects to a switch that then connects to basically every expensive thing I own! TVs, routers, computers... probably dozens of electronic devices. @Jimrahbe warns about hardwiring an outdoor EasyTouch to a ScreenLogic adapter, because that provides a lighting path from outside to inside. Better to use Pentair's wireless components. While I agree with his advice, I didn't follow it, I have everything hardwired. Would installing more of these protectors, especially at the ScreenLogic adapter, provide any protection for my LAN? The unprotected red and black path would still exist. Seems like those sets of wires would still make my LAN susceptible to a strike (as would the cable to my modem, and a dozen other paths, etc).

You mention adding the protector after you repair or replace the motherboard. I'm assuming the better time to install one is before you get hit! Can you provide a link to where this part can be purchased?

The surge protectors are available on Ebay from china, search "RS485 surge protector" or "LRS01-RS485" on Ebay. (any model should work, I have the LRS01-RS485)

Cut a 6 inch section of Yellow and Green wire. Remove the green and yellow wires attached at the Easytouch, add the 6 inch wires, add the surge protector and reattach the Yelow and Green wires from your devices.

Yes, adding a surge protector before you get any damage is Smart.

Yes, you can add a "Surge Protector" at each device which could be damaged, Screenlogic, Intellichem, Intellichlor, VS VF pump, etc. Again the "output" side is the protected side.
I have only experienced issues with the Com circuit failing in the Easytouch Motherboard, all my other devices have survived and lightning has taken out two Easytouch boards at my location in Miami.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Reactions: Dirk
Dirk, do you live in an area that gets a lot of thunderstorms? If you were in Florida rather than California you would definitely have cause for concern. Still as Jerry states it's cheap insurance regardless.

Dirk, do you live in an area that gets a lot of thunderstorms?
Not at all, which is why I decided to hardwire and take my chances. But we did have a freak strike just behind my pool during a weird summer storm a few years ago, so it got me thinking. A few years later, I'm still thinking. That's as far as I've gotten on it! ;)

And my ScreenLogic adapter has an ethernet cable that connects to a switch that then connects to basically every expensive thing I own! TVs, routers, computers... probably dozens of electronic devices.
I know this may sound stupid but if you have a storm in your area it wouldn't hurt to unplug the ScreenLogic adapter temporarily until the storm passes. I recall as a child my parents would unplug the TV from the rooftop antenna when there was a storm coming, it's funny how things like that stick in your mind.

I know this may sound stupid but if you have a storm in your area it wouldn't hurt to unplug the ScreenLogic adapter temporarily until the storm passes. I recall as a child my parents would unplug the TV from the rooftop antenna when there was a storm coming, it's funny how things like that stick in your mind.
I sometimes shut off all my breakers in a blackout. I lost the circuit board in my furnace once because of a power brownout, so I've never forgotten that either! I don't trust the way the power comes back on. And while it'd be prudent to disconnect the SL adapter, would that matter? As I mentioned, I have so many wires comin' and goin', inside and out... there are so many paths, including the entire Romex grid. I suppose I could go whole-house protection, I've considered that. But how much do I spend to guard against a remote possibility? Tough call.

It is a tough call and I don't have any good answers. My understanding is the risk of damage is greater for buried cables than those above ground, i.e. comm cables for pump, swg etc. and if you did want protection I would be inclined to put a SerialComm RS-485 Surge Protector at each end, i.e. one in the outdoor panel and one inside house. Obviously all bets are off it you have a lightning strike close to your property.

Reactions: Dirk
It is a tough call and I don't have any good answers. My understanding is the risk of damage is greater for buried cables than those above ground, i.e. comm cables for pump, swg etc. and if you did want protection I would be inclined to put a SerialComm RS-485 Surge Protector at each end, i.e. one in the outdoor panel and one inside house. Obviously all bets are off it you have a lightning strike close to your property.
That's what I was thinking, but on the other hand that little protector component seems like very cheap insurance, even if it would only be effective under certain circumstances.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.