Easy Touch issues?

frustratedpoolmom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 20, 2007
Key West, FL
So I have a client with a IC40, new installed last August. Was working at opening but now reading low salt. Easy Touch says salt is 2450 when I confirmed via new Taylor salt test its 3200.

Second issue is Easy Touch says water is 87 degrees and no demand for heater. The water is 76. Heater works in service mode.

Is there a way to bypass the salt cell from the Easy Touch? So the cell works independently from the Easy Touch?

The thermistor in the cell's flow switch is probably bad. You can replace the flow switch or just disconnect the thermistor or install an external thermistor near the cell and wire it to the cell instead of the thermistor in the flow switch.

The thermistor in the flow switch is known to be unreliable. So, I would start by disconnecting it. I would do the external thermistor instead of the flow switch because the thermistor in the flow switch will probably fail again.

The water temperature sensor for the Easytouch is probably bad. You just need to replace it.

Reactions: frustratedpoolmom
The thermistor in the cell's flow switch is probably bad. You can replace the flow switch or just disconnect the thermistor or install an external thermistor near the cell and wire it to the cell instead of the thermistor in the flow switch.

The thermistor in the flow switch is known to be unreliable. So, I would start by disconnecting it. I would do the external thermistor instead of the flow switch because the thermistor in the flow switch will probably fail again.

The water temperature sensor for the Easytouch is probably bad. You just need to replace it.
Thank you very much!

If you disconnect the thermistor in the flow switch (green and white wires), the cell will ignore the sensor and use 77 degrees as the water temperature, which should make the salinity accurate again since the actual water temperature is close to 77 degrees.

Reactions: frustratedpoolmom
You can calibrate the air and water temperature sensors if they're a little bit off.

To calibrate the water, air and solar temperature sensors:
MENU>SETTING>CALIBRATION>CALIBRATION
1. Press the Mode button on the control panel to place the system in “Service” manual mode.
2. Press the Filter Pump (F) button to switch on the pool/spa filter pump.
3. Place the thermometer in the spa or pool water. Take an accurate temperature reading. When calibrating the air sensor, place the thermometer next to the air sensor. The air sensor is normally located near or under the EasyTouch PL4/PSL4 Control System Power Center enclosure, not inside the enclosure. Take an accurate temperature reading in the shade.
4. Use the Up or Down buttons to raise or lower the water temperature to match the corresponding thermometer temperature reading.
5. After calibrating the water sensor, use the Right button to move to the “AIR” setting and repeat step 4 and repeat the procedure for the solar sensor. Ensure that the solar sensor is in the sun for accurate readings.
6. After calibrating all the sensors, press the Menu button to save the settings and to return to the Settings menu options. Press the button again to return to the main menu options or press again to
return to the main screen.

If it was only a degree or two, I would do the recalibration. Since it's way off, I would replace the sensor. Part number 520272.

Since the IC40 is new, you should be able to get the repair done under warranty.

You should be registered with Pentair (and Hayward and Jandy) as a service provider and they will cover parts and labor when you do warranty.

Pentair, Hayward and Jandy will periodically do training in your area. You should take the classes when you can.

That will help get you qualified as an authorized service provider.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.