Eastern PA region - when do you open?

Northeast leafout is occuring 20+ days early. I normally open from March 30 - April 15th. Not to swim mind you, since I only get passive solar heating. But to look at, make sure there are no issues and let the dogs swim. Water temp has been between 48 and 55 in recent years for those opening dates in MD. Water temp was 45 a month ago.

USA National Phenology Network | USA National Phenology Network

. I normally open from March 30 - April 15th. Not to swim mind you
I do the same. Lookin at is soooooooo much nicer. And the view is a darned if you do/don’t also. Before the weather warms up and we still have that deep blue sky, the pool looks so inviting, just begging for a swim. But like you said, 45 degrees and you would regret that temptation rather quickly.

Just pull the winter covers off and let it air out. Only need a tiny bit of chlorine here and there and brush it in dont even bother de winterizing the pool pipes yet. If you have green water you can honestly clean a green pool with winterized pool equipment. I do it all the time

You can run a pool heater as long a you keep the water temperature above 70 degrees.

What you do not want to do is constantly let the pool water temperature drop below 70 and heat it back up, or use the heater to heat the water between 40 and 60F to keep it from freezing for example.

Why is that?

Well you guys have me the final push over the edge. I’m opening next week. For East doesn’t go below 32 at nights for next 14 days and I’m going away beginning of April so at least I can get it to maintainable mode for my parents when I’m away. Figured better open than closed not running.
I have to fix a section of pavers also down by my deep swim out. The concrete under the pavers must have settled a little so they got a bit wonky. Nothing bad but enough that I want to pull up that area and fix them.
Figure I can do that also since the cover will be off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm targeting March 28th given the warm spring so far to be sure it's still clear. We also have folks coming over the 29th so it will be open and pretty to look at - and available for pup swimming!

Reactions: damon5683
I opened one yesterday. Water nice and clear. That's what happens when you close late and open early, doesn't let the algae get a grip. Water sure is cold but will be getting heated shortly to the mid to high 80's.

Probably end of March for me but will leave the cover on and just get the system running. I have lots of trees around the yard and they load the pool up with seed pods, so I keep the cover on until late April unless it really warms up.

Huh. Never even considered this! We don't have any trees, but am wondering if leaving the mesh safety cover on would be prudent for the dogs and kids until it get to be swim weather... :unsure:

I may not have mentioned earlier, my early opening is aided by having an autocover to keep on often and keep out stuff while it's warming up (and the same in the fall as the leaves are falling and the pool is cooling). And I open it when I want to see it.

I’m in central Ohio and plan on opening next weekend. This winter has been so mild and I don’t have a cover on my pool and would like to avoid an algae bloom! I’m okay with maintaining the pool until swimming season lol. Glad I’m not the only one opening super early! I actually made a post about this lol

Reactions: l1ltaral1l
Huh. Never even considered this! We don't have any trees, but am wondering if leaving the mesh safety cover on would be
Last year it got really warm one early weekend so i got the equiptment and pipes going so all i had to do was pop the cover when i was ready. Well the next bunch of weekends were either drenching rain, or too cold to be messing with water. It probably went 4 or 5 weeks running but covered.

Reactions: l1ltaral1l

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.