Easier way to test for high levels of chlorine?

Mandy M.

Bronze Supporter
Aug 6, 2020
Houston, TX
Hi! I need to drain some water out of my pool because my CYA is way too high (120 was my best guess testing today, and Leslie's said it was even higher). That said, until I drain, I need to maintain higher chlorine levels. I did the FC test today, but didn't feel super confident in my results. Plus it was cloudy, which made it harder to tell. The small kit only goes up to 5, and I need to be between 9 and 13. Any other way to quickly test?

P.S. I am obviously new at doing this on my own. Lol.

Why wouldn't you just go ahead and exchange some water to get the cya level to the proper range? You don't want to have your cya that high because it can lock up the chlorine.

If you get a good test kit then you will be able to test the chlorine up to approximately 50. You will also no longer need to be going to the pool store because you can do the testing yourself instead of someone who may not have a clue how to properly test.
Test Kits Compared

Reactions: HermanTX
Why wouldn't you just go ahead and exchange some water to get the cya level to the proper range? You don't want to have your cya that high because it can lock up the chlorine.

If you get a good test kit then you will be able to test the chlorine up to approximately 50. You will also no longer need to be going to the pool store because you can do the testing yourself instead of someone who may not have a clue how to properly test.
Test Kits Compared

Our swim season will be over when I do the drain, as the water will be colder, so I wanted to wait a few more weeks.

I do have the TF-100 kit. It just seemed subjective as to how many drops are needed to get it "perfectly" clear. Then it turned pink again after sitting.

Our swim season will be over when I do the drain, as the water will be colder, so I wanted to wait a few more weeks.

I do have the TF-100 kit. It just seemed subjective as to how many drops are needed to get it "perfectly" clear. Then it turned pink again after sitting.
It should be bright pink when you start. Add drops until it goes clear. If in doubt, add another. If it didn't change things, subtract that last useless drop. Just that easy. Ignore it turning pink after it sits. Just run the test at a comfortable pace. You don't need to rush, but you also don't want to dawdle and have it turn on you in the middle of the test, either!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.