Dumping my Robot for a Suction Side? I have questions...

Apr 26, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I've had a Dolphin Active 30i for a few years now. I always keep it in the pool, run it 1-2 times/day. I've had some problems with it, warranty service, doesn't run, cord tangles easily, broken cord, etc- but I think it's just not cut out for the job. My pool is surrounded by large trees, and we constantly have twigs/leaves falling in. I think it's just too much for this little robot (plus, the wife HATES the cord running across the deck!) I certainly don't enjoy using/cleaning it...

I have a port on the side wall of my pool. It's plumbed into a wye on the intake of my pump, with a ball valve turning it on/off. I assume this is for a suction side cleaner? I've never owned one before- is this something I can generally leave in the pool running off the pump full time? I can take it out when the kids want to swim?
What's a decent one to get for a good price that can handle larger amount of debris? I assume I'm going to want something with a leaf catcher in-line on the hose? Is it stupid to get rid of the robot in exchange for the suction side cleaner?
Thanks for your insights!

Last edited:
Twigs will definitely stop any suction side vac from moving. They are either powered by a turbine or diaphragm. The consensus is robots reign supreme. But I use a lot of suction side cleaners (pool cleaner) flex turbine runs good on low suction I usually pair with an intake actuator and bind it on low rpms to run skimmer and vac line at different times. But if you have twigs I would stick with a robot.

Twigs will definitely stop any suction side vac from moving. They are either powered by a turbine or diaphragm. The consensus is robots reign supreme. But I use a lot of suction side cleaners (pool cleaner) flex turbine runs good on low suction I usually pair with an intake actuator and bind it on low rpms to run skimmer and vac line at different times. But if you have twigs I would stick with a robot.
Thanks for the reply. Will it help if I use a leaf catcher? Assuming the twigs get sucked right into the hose and not get bound up in the wheels, etc. The robot I had struggled with twigs as well- constantly had to take it apart and fish them out of the gears and whatnot... stupid trees.

Look at my signature for a link to my saga with robots. I had an s300i which is the exact same robot as yours. After 5 years, it’s shot. I went back to using my suction cleaner instead.

Get a Pentair Kreepy Krawly Sandshark or a Pentair Rebel. Also use a Hayward style in-line leaf canister on the hoses before the wall port. Either cleaner will deal with small twigs easily. The leaf canister keeps your suction line from plugging up and your pump basket clean.

DITCH THE ‘BOT!!!

Reactions: dfwnoob
Wow. Our pool signatures are almost exactly the same …

Also, get a chainsaw and trim the trees. Nothing helps keep a pool clean like tree pruning and/or removal. Mesquites are the worst for pools.

You want a canister setup like this -

50DB8A10-435D-430A-B959-79A342B3D94D.jpeg

That one is actually a Pentair flip-top leaf canister. I previously had a Hayward style one with a screw top. I like the Hayward better. And the one I have is fairly large which is not really necessary for me as I don’t get a lot of debris. The newer Hayward one is smaller.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.