Duck prevention and the health hazards of algaecide

Alcyone

May 9, 2021
Las Vegas, NV
Upon recommendation from a local pool shop, I added 2 ounces of HTH Super Algae Guard to my 5000 gallon inground swimming pool because ducks were getting in it. Supposedly, the algaecide makes ducks less buoyant in the water to where they avoid swimming in it. Something had to be done because they were basically using my pool as their personal bathroom. The amount of poop that needed to be cleaned out on a daily basis was nothing short of incredible. I saw this as a major health hazard due to the pathogens present in duck feces. The algaecide has worked for now (first duck free day in 2 weeks), but the water pouring over the spa spillover is making bubbles at the immediate area and the surface of the water appears to have a more oily texture. Is the added algaecide and the effects it has on the water a health hazard and do these treatments have any link to cancer? Is the pool safe to swim in at this point after extracting as much of the duck feces as possible?

Last edited:
I’m not sure about the safety of the algaecide. I’m sure someone here will know much more.
My neighbor had an issue with ducks landing in her pool and bought a floating toy alligator that helped deter them. Check out Big Joe Pool Petz.

Chadly and Casey. thanks for the replies. I did buy a large, intimidating toy turtle from Walmart and put it in there at the same time as the algaecide. Hopefully it's helping. If I still have issues I'll definitely try the fishing line. These ducks make such a mess.

I have no idea about the health risks of algaecides. If they really helped against ducks, but you are concerned about health risks, you could use dishwashing liquid instead. It will have the same effect on reducing surface tension (which is the duck deterrence) with the same annoying side effects like foaming. No idea about health risks of these, but you use them to wash dishes that you eat from... Personally, I don't like foaming water, so I wouldn't use either. I once tried an algaecide which created annoying foaming and a very unpleasant smell. Never again. And since I found TFP, I learnt that chlorine is much better at stopping algae from growing anyway (I never tried algaecides as a duck deterrent).

The most important factor regarding water safety is chlorine. Most pathogens are killed within seconds or at least minutes by chlorine as long as it stays above the min level in the FC/CYA Levels. Note that the required chlorine level depends on the CYA-level. To be on the safe side you can bring FC up to SLAM level to speed up the sanitation process.

Of course, there is always the risk that there are pathogens in duck poo (probably any animal faeces) that are very difficult to kill with chlorine like cryptosporidium or guardia. But if you are concerned about that in a private pool, you probably shouldn't have one. The risk for that is much larger in public pools by introduction via human faeces.

I also get ducks from time to time. Annoying, but I'm not too concerned about health risks. I always maintain my FC at or above target. When I see duck poo in the pool, I try to clean up as much as possible asap with the net. If that's not possible, I sometimes vacuum what I can see through a skimmer sock (which I soak in bleach water afterwards). Or (most of the times) I just brush over it so that it disperses into the water and chlorine can get to the core of it.

And whatever you do: Never ever put a metal based algaecide in your pool, they will eventually result in nasty metal stains in your pool.

Other algaecides will not really help against algae (apart from Polyquat, that can be used when winterizing a pool - but nothing else really), but at least won't do much harm long-term, apart from foaming, smell, a hole in your wallet and a higher chlorine need (in the end, algaecides will get oxidized by chlorine).

If they help against ducks and you are willing to put up with the side effects - your choice.

There are also specific duck deterrents available that have the same effects on surface tension with the same side effects.

I once asked at my local pool store what I can do against ducks. He said: "Nothing, really." At least chemically - you can shoo them away, strings, whatever works. I like my local pool store.

My opinion is that once you add anything to your pool in concentrations that makes the pool unpleasant to ducks, it will also make it unpleasant to you. Maybe for different reasons, but that doesn't really matter.

Solar cover helps with my ducks because they are mostly in it for a place to swim. It doesn't help with other birds tho. Please make sure you do ot use anything that reduces surface tension of the water if baby ducks are present. If it makes them sink they won't have the ability to fly away to safety.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good advice here. I definitely don't want metal stains in the pool. As effective as the algaecide was at deterring ducks, the potential damage to the pool isn't worth the risk. Dish soap may be an option if it doesn't cause any damage.

No baby ducks fortunately. Just a couple of adult crappers that poo all over the place. If scooping out the feces with the net (which I have done) and dispersing the residual with a brush is enough for the chlorine to take care of the pathogens, that's good enough for me.

I've read about using a solar cover (which I have), but it makes the pool hard to clean for my pool guy (necessary since I travel all the time). Additionally, I've read that birds will just poo all over the covers instead.

I've been told by a neighbor that the duck problem is short lived in this area. I hope that's the case. The problem started when I had my pool drained and refilled. There was a period of time after I refilled the pool that the pump wasn't running, salt hadn't been added and the system hadn't been started up. That's the 2 day period when the duck problem started.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've been lucky with my ducks so far, they only come occasionally. But they do make an unbelievable mess, no just in, but also around the pool.

Happened a few times that I was standing right next to pool and two ducks were about to land. Clapping my hands, they did a perfect go-around, immediately taking off again. They still managed to drop their loads with barely getting their feet wet.

But I heard of ducks nesting next to a pool. Cute, but messy.

If you have a cleaning robot or a suction side cleaner you could try if it helps to let that run during the day. A good old noisy kreepy krawly maybe. Might work to encourage them to move on. Or borrow a friend's dog for a couple of days.

I also had a problem with ducks and although I enjoyed seeing them, I also drew the line at pooping in the pool. I got one of these alligators, strung it in front of a return and since it's in sections it moves in the current. It worked like a charm. I can't tell you how many people do a double take of it too!

An update on the HTH algaecide I used: It is non-metallic, meaning it won't stain the pool. Thank god!

I do have a pool vacuum cleaner that moves around. The issue was occurring when the pump shut off for the night and the vacuum wasn't moving.

The turtle I bought could be working, but I like that alligator better. I think I'm going to get one of those.

I've read about using a solar cover (which I have), but it makes the pool hard to clean for my pool guy (necessary since I travel all the time). Additionally, I've read that birds will just poo all over the covers instead.
Yeah the small birds poop on the cover too, but less winds up in the pool that way. I see it more as training the ducks to go find a better place to call home then my pool. they seem to stop coming around after a while. I do have a birdbath for the small birds and I'm going to add a small fountain this year to try and encorage them to not stand on the ladder and steps to get their drinks.

Very good advice here. I definitely don't want metal stains in the pool. As effective as the algaecide was at deterring ducks, the potential damage to the pool isn't worth the risk. Dish soap may be an option if it doesn't cause any damage.

No baby ducks fortunately. Just a couple of adult crappers that poo all over the place. If scooping out the feces with the net (which I have done) and dispersing the residual with a brush is enough for the chlorine to take care of the pathogens, that's good enough for me.

I've been told by a neighbor that the duck problem is short lived in this area. I hope that's the case. The problem started when I had my pool drained and refilled. There was a period of time after I refilled the pool that the pump wasn't running, salt hadn't been added and the system hadn't been started up. That's the 2 day period when the duck problem started.
I just wanted to make an update to this post. When I last had ducks, the only thing that really worked and was practical was HTH Super Algae Guard. Several splashes of the stuff in the pool does the trick. It works amazingly well and isn't metal-based, so no staining.

Ducks returned again this spring. Again, several splashes of Super Algae Guard. No more ducks!

Reapply every 2 weeks for best results.

I use a toy alligator resting on the spillover to deter birds from drinking from it. Not effective for ducks though...

Similar chemical is used in the product called SKILL-IT which my neighbor swears on her mother-in-law’s yet-to-be-occupied grave that it keeps wasps away.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.