Dry skin problem

Just wanted to add that we have also added salt to our non-SWG pool. Our water seemed to be very drying also. Adding 3 bags of salt to our 12000 gallon pool made a big difference in the feeling of the water and on our skin. Also for the first time the kids started opening their eyes underwater and can swim all day without redness or irritation. I highly recommend giving it a try!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Salt will have no impact on a heater or any pool equipment. The only thing that can damage a pool heater is PH below 7.2 and sometimes mfg recommend avoiding CH below 125 or so.

It says this here, Pool School - Definitions and Abbreviations

Salt
Sodium Chloride
All swimming pools contain some salt, since there is some salt in most of the chemicals used swimming pools. Salt, at levels around 2000 ppm, can be used to improve the subjective feel of the water. Most SWGs require salt levels around 3000 ppm, though some require higher levels. Salt can contribute to accelerated corrosion of some materials, especially some of the softer kinds of natural stone and inferior grades of stainless steel. Ocean water typically has salt levels around 35,000 ppm, more than ten times the levels commonly used with a SWG.

Is there a calculator to show how much salt I would need to get to 2,000 ppm? Also, is there a way to test for this?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can buy cheap test strips to get a rough estimate (good to within +/-400ppm) or you can buy the more expensive K-1766 Taylor Kit (~$30) and get more accurate results (+/-200ppm or +/-80ppm depending on sample size). Or you can ask a pool store to test it.

Then use Pool Math to calculate how much you need by putting your current salt value into the NOW box and your desired level in the TARGET box.

PoolMath will do all the calculations you need.

Remember, all pools already have salt in them. You could already have a salt level of 1000ppm or so just from adding chlorine. So, best to test the level so you know how much to add.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used solar salt because I had some on hand with our water softener, but my Sam's club also had Morton's pool salt on sale for the same price as the solar salt at Home Depot. The pool salt is finer, though not a lot. I'd just grab whichever you find easiest.

Another tip is that I just took a water sample to a local pool supplies store. They told me where I was at, which was about 500ppm at the time I think, and I used pool math to figure out how much I needed. Ironically, the pool store wanted me to buy 15 bags of pool salt from them. I told them I already had what I needed on hand, and ran to Sam's club to get the 5 bags that I actually needed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hmm.

Can you add salt to an AG pool?

Would the salt cause rust on the metal siding of the pool?
You already have salt in your pool, just from adding chlorine (maybe up to 1000ppm). For the feel, we generally recommend 2000ppm. For a SWG you need around 3000-3500ppm. For reference the ocean is 35,000ppm.

So the added salt might cause a little more corrosion, but it would be hard to prove it was due to the slightly elevated salt level.

There are 1000s of members that have a SWG with AG metal pools.

Just wanted to add that we have also added salt to our non-SWG pool. Our water seemed to be very drying also. Adding 3 bags of salt to our 12000 gallon pool made a big difference in the feeling of the water and on our skin. Also for the first time the kids started opening their eyes underwater and can swim all day without redness or irritation. I highly recommend giving it a try!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Does this give your water a salty taste?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Yes, you can taste it, and it'll probably bug you at first. At least, it did me, and I think I was about as skeptical as you are about putting salt in my pool. I did not want a salt water pool, right or wrong. But I'm 3 weeks in and have no regrets. The taste is fading, though I may just be getting used to it. And as others have said, it's not as much salty, as just not quite right tasting.

You already have salt in your pool, just from adding chlorine (maybe up to 1000ppm). For the feel, we generally recommend 2000ppm. For a SWG you need around 3000-3500ppm. For reference the ocean is 35,000ppm.

So the added salt might cause a little more corrosion, but it would be hard to prove it was due to the slightly elevated salt level.

There are 1000s of members that have a SWG with AG metal pools.

Never knew!

thanks for the info!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.