Drowning in a green pool and in over our heads!

May 16, 2018
Youngstown, OH
Hello!

My husband and I just took ownership of a home with a pool and as expected, it was dark green and cloudy upon opening.
We've basically begged the local pool stores for guidance and had them come out once and dump some chemicals and then leave... everyone has been less than helpful. I'm learning that is not uncommon!

I've been reading these threads daily for two weeks now but we are in so over our heads I don't even know how to find some of the information I need when posting, and the language is beyond me!

Here is what I do know: Our pool is in ground, roughly 18x36ft, vining siding, with a Hayward cartridge filter.

We were shocking it a lot ot first thinking that's what we should do... we also added algeacide and so many other random bottles of things.

We are now at the point we're just trying to keep the chlorine high, running the pump constantly, putting the pool dolphin in regularly, and cleaning out the filters once a day. It seems to be getting better (barely) but we're tired of wasting money in chemicals that might or might not be effective.

I don't have the pool kit everyone is suggesting (yet) so I can't provide those numbers, but we have one of those clorox pool test kits and I can tell you what that says:
Hardness: 500 (we really don't know how to fix that)
Total Chlorine: 10 (the highest it will go)
Free Chlorine: 10 (the highest it will go)
pH: 8.4 (was low when we started out, the highest this kit will go)
Total Alkalinity: 240 (the highest it will go)
Stabilizer: 100

We are beyond overwhelmed and are giving up on calling people locally. I'm hoping that is enough information to get so real help from you guys, or atleast the help needed to know where to start!

Thank you so much in advance! We just want to enjoy the pool!

Hello and Welcome to TFP amfrench.

Sit back and get ready because help is ooooon the waaaaaaay!

Not the last time you will hear it... Order one of the test kits recommended all over TFP www.tftestkits.net.

I have not used the clorox pool test kit to know with certainty but a few things are pretty reliable, testing pH TA Hardness with FC in excess of 10ppm can produce unreliable results.

First and foremost, get a test kit, it is a very manageable upfront cost that will be the main tool you will come to love while you both work to get your family control of your new pool.

Cheers,

Hello!

My husband and I just took ownership of a home with a pool and as expected, it was dark green and cloudy upon opening.
We've basically begged the local pool stores for guidance and had them come out once and dump some chemicals and then leave... everyone has been less than helpful. I'm learning that is not uncommon!

I've been reading these threads daily for two weeks now but we are in so over our heads I don't even know how to find some of the information I need when posting, and the language is beyond me!

Here is what I do know: Our pool is in ground, roughly 18x36ft, vining siding, with a Hayward cartridge filter.

We were shocking it a lot ot first thinking that's what we should do... we also added algeacide and so many other random bottles of things.

We are now at the point we're just trying to keep the chlorine high, running the pump constantly, putting the pool dolphin in regularly, and cleaning out the filters once a day. It seems to be getting better (barely) but we're tired of wasting money in chemicals that might or might not be effective.

I don't have the pool kit everyone is suggesting (yet) so I can't provide those numbers, but we have one of those clorox pool test kits and I can tell you what that says:

We are beyond overwhelmed and are giving up on calling people locally. I'm hoping that is enough information to get so real help from you guys, or atleast the help needed to know where to start!

And Bleach, you will likely need quite a bit of it to get things clear. So maybe pickup 12 gallons for starters.

Store bought 8.25% plain unscented. No splashless or scented bleaches.

Might be a good idea to search the other threads here on green swamp pools that have been returned
to sparkling clear water, to get an idea how it's going to go for you.

It's probable that the stabilizer level is going to need reduction and the only way to do that is with
water replacement. For that you can drain down 1//3 of the water, then refill. It might need to
be done twice and hopefully you are not on well water and your city water rates are not too high
for refilling. But getting the test kit first is recommended before doing that.

Your in good hands!

Hello!
Welcome to TFP! A true community of pool owners, helpers and great place for advice! You will get LOTS! =)) You will be eventually doing your own SLAM Process =)

I would start here =) ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and Pool School - Pool School

Excellent! When you say vinyl siding, do you mean a vinyl liner OR fiberglass? (just to be sure) Also you can add your pool details to your signature, so that everyone can see that info quickly when making replies Trouble Free Pool

What shock was being used? If you've been reading threads, you know about the "pool store misc chemical bottles" ;)

No more money wasting in your very near future! Get a Good complete test kit! That is your starting point... Use PoolMath to target a FC of 5-7, until your good test kit arrives, since we don't know what you're current CYA levels truly are.

Is this a strip? IF the Stabilizer is indeed that high (likely higher), a drain might be in order, BUT you need an accurate testing kit first

You have found a GREAT source of help, the members of this forum are amazing!

You will be soon! Hang in there!

I have not used the clorox pool test kit to know with certainty but a few things are pretty reliable, testing pH TA Hardness with FC in excess of 10ppm can produce unreliable results.
The PH reading will definitely not be correct.

...Not the last time you will hear it... Order one of the test kits recommended all over TFP www.tftestkits.net.
First and foremost, get a test kit, it is a very manageable upfront cost that will be the main tool you will come to love while you both work to get your family control of your new pool...
Seconded! Get a test kit and no more chemicals (just liquid chlorine/bleach, and as needed baking soda/muriatic acid)

Thank you guys so much for your early responses.

Test kit has been ordered =) Just hoping to find something that will move us in the right direction while we wait for it to arrive.

On my way to get some bleach now. I figured new-pool ownership would be an adjustment but this was a gut-punch!

In the meantime while you're waiting for your test kit to come in (you did just order one, right? :p ), it would be helpful to edit your signature and put your pool and equipment info in there like you see in the above posters

To change your profile and/or signature, select "Settings" (top right under Pool School button). Scroll down (left side) to "My Settings" & select Edit Profile or Edit Signature.

Don't add chlorine that isn't either bleach or liquid chlorine. All the other forms of chlorine (powdered shock, tablets, granular) add either CYA or calcium with every dosage. Liquid chlorine or bleach do not. They are just chlorine and just a little bit of salt. Could you post a picture of your pool so we can see what you are dealing with. A picture of your equipment pad would help as well to get you dialed in.

While you wait for your trusty test kit to arrive, add a gallon or maybe 2 daily of liquid chlorine or bleach. This won't fix anything if you have algae, but it will keep you in a holding pattern until you get your test kit and can get some real answers.

So we've actually had a big change overnight...
I did add some store bought bleach after realizing that it was the shock that the first pool store sold us was raising the CYA... I'm not sure what the "miracle" was this time but I woke up and... the pool is blue! 3 weeks of this and the pool is FINALLY blue! Water is still a little cloudy... I can see the bottom of the shallow end, still can't see deep end but I figure that will come in time.

Very frustrating as the pool store had JUST specifically told us that bleach would raise CYA as well and I found out that's not the case.

So I guess we're on the right path but now that the pool is just about perfectly blue I wonder... do I just keep letting the filter run and brushing and cleaning and giving it some time? My test kit has shipped so hopefully I'll have that soon, but I'm sure chlorine is quite high. Anything I can do for the cloudiness? We also have a little bit of foamy/film on the top of the deep end that has gone down, but been there for about a week or so. It's usually white but can sometimes have a green tint.

Thank you again so much for your help! I can't believe how excited I was when I woke up this morning!

- - - Updated - - -

Also... I did have a pool store test our water yesterday just to see what they would say... Should I post those numbers or are those not reliable? I would have to call for them.

So we've actually had a big change overnight...
I did add some store bought bleach after realizing that it was the shock that the first pool store sold us was raising the CYA... I'm not sure what the "miracle" was this time but I woke up and... the pool is blue! 3 weeks of this and the pool is FINALLY blue! Water is still a little cloudy... I can see the bottom of the shallow end, still can't see deep end but I figure that will come in time.
Thank you again so much for your help! I can't believe how excited I was when I woke up this morning!
Yay! Isn't progress encouraging?? =)

So I guess we're on the right path but now that the pool is just about perfectly blue I wonder... do I just keep letting the filter run and brushing and cleaning and giving it some time? My test kit has shipped so hopefully I'll have that soon, but I'm sure chlorine is quite high. Anything I can do for the cloudiness? We also have a little bit of foamy/film on the top of the deep end that has gone down, but been there for about a week or so. It's usually white but can sometimes have a green tint.
Using PoolMath, keep adding liquid chlorine DAILY @ Now/0 Goal/5 until your test kit arrives, and keep filter running 24/7

Very frustrating as the pool store had JUST specifically told us that bleach would raise CYA as well and I found out that's not the case.
Also... I did have a pool store test our water yesterday just to see what they would say... Should I post those numbers or are those not reliable? I would have to call for them.
Since bleach is NOT stabilized sodium hypochlorite, the results would only be for giggles :D

Unfortunately, you've just experienced why there isn't much faith in pool stores around here. Fortunately, you're on the right path now and your test kit is en route. In order to properly SLAM and accurately test during the OCLT we need to wait until the kit is here. I think Dean's advice is still good until you get your test kit, gallon or 2 daily. Once the kit comes in full numbers here would help and we can really be on the way to a sparkling pool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Encouraging is an understatement! I could cannonball in there right now from excitement! (But I'll resist, obviously!)

Yes.... I went to the pool store knowing I should come home and check their facts before doing anything and was so mad when I realized they just told me something blatantly wrong. The one I went to is run by a local family and I really wanted to believe them!

Okay will do... thinking I'll be able to test in a few days. Thanks for your help!

Alexa

Encouraging is an understatement! I could cannonball in there right now from excitement! (But I'll resist, obviously!)
:bounce: :paddle: :bounce:

Yes.... I went to the pool store knowing I should come home and check their facts before doing anything and was so mad when I realized they just told me something blatantly wrong. The one I went to is run by a local family and I really wanted to believe them!
Yeah, in theory they *should* be providing correct information, in reality, it just isn't so (most of the time)

Okay will do... thinking I'll be able to test in a few days. Thanks for your help!
You are welcome! Keep that FC in there daily, till we can "lock" down some numbers from your self testing!

Okay so here's another update with numbers from the test kit... granted this is my first time doing this so I hope they make sense:
FC: 20
CC: 11
TC: 31

TA: 160

CYA: 80

pH: 7.8

Pool has absolutely no green and I'd say is about 95% clear. We do have some white film/foam on the top that just continues to circle around and reappear even if we scoop it out... Not sure what that's about.

Hoping to get some guidance on to how to get the pool to a neutral state where we can start using it and start just regular maintenance.

Thank you so much!
Alexa

You'll be needing to SLAM Process soon, but first you need to partial drain to bring your CYA down to a manageable level, I'm on mobile, I know another member will be along to give details on safe partial drain/refill with inground vinyl

Okay so here's another update with numbers from the test kit... granted this is my first time doing this so I hope they make sense:
FC: 20
CC: 11
TC: 31

TA: 160

CYA: 80

pH: 7.8

Pool has absolutely no green and I'd say is about 95% clear. We do have some white film/foam on the top that just continues to circle around and reappear even if we scoop it out... Not sure what that's about.

Hoping to get some guidance on to how to get the pool to a neutral state where we can start using it and start just regular maintenance.

Thank you so much!
Alexa

Definitely want to SLAM Process and follow through with the process and Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. While I'd agree that the CYA is high for non-SWG, she's already most of the way to SLAM level of 31 FC, PoolMath shows with 24k gallons, she needs only 2.6 jugs of 10% chlorine. Why not just roll with it for now as opposed to draining? Drain next year (you'll be lowering the water to close anyways). PH is likely inaccurate and reading high with 20 FC so it's probably ok.

OP only has FC/20, SLAM level @80/CYA is 31/FC, which is 7gal of 10%, it would be 2gallons of 10% to bump the current FC/20 up to 31, but there is going to be a huge amount of chlorine needed @ those numbers

OP only has FC/20, SLAM level @80/CYA is 31/FC, which is 7gal of 10%, it would be 2gallons of 10% to bump the current FC/20 up to 31, but there is going to be a huge amount of chlorine needed @ those numbers

Ok, is there a typo in the above somewhere or am I just missing something obvious? You wrote OP is at 20 FC and it takes 7 gals to get to 31? 0 to 31 would be 7 gallons of 10% according to PoolMath. Yeah it would take a lot of chlorine to get to 31 from 0 but if you're already at 20, it's not that far off from 31 FC and it should be too bad to hold it that high if we're already there right? I've SLAMed with 80 CYA last season and once I was there it was easy to keep it at 31. What am I missing here?

Hi, Amfrench! Welcome to TFP. Have you read any of Pool School yet, in particular, how and why to conduct a SLAM? Another thing you will want to understand is the relationship between CYA and chlorine. Take a look at this chart.

Also, Pool Math is your best friend! With your pool specifics, your targets and your most recent test results, it will tell you what you need to add to hit your target.

Splash and Linux are discussing whether or not you should try to reduce your CYA before you SLAM, to make it easier to keep your FC at SLAM level. It’s really up to you. Since it will only take you a couple of gallons, maybe a bit more, to hit your SLAM level of FC, which is 31, AND you’ll be checking FC as often as every couple of hours, if you can swing it, your chlorine shouldn’t drop so low that you would have to add massive amounts to get back to 31.

If I were in your shoes, I would probably just go ahead with the SLAM without draining any water.

By the way, the PH test isn’t accurate at high FC levels, so no need to test that again until you are done with SLAM.

Hello!

Thank you guys so much for all of your responses....
I'm going to admit, I'm feeling a little confused and overwhelmed. I have read both pool school and the the SLAM procedure, and looked at pool math, and basically tried to do everything I can to help myself figure some of this out on my own but I feel like there are some things i'm not quite "getting."

If I can ask (probably) stupid questions:
1. Why do I need to SLAM again? Isn't that what I did when I was getting rid of the green/cloudy water? The pool now looks ideal.... should I be trying to back off of the SLAM? Or is it only so I can conduct the overnight chlorine test?
2. Once the SLAM is done... then what? Do i want the chlorine level to drop or does it have to stay high because of the CYA?
3. Since my CYA is high now.. is that something I have to worry about all summer long? Making sure it doesn't go up any higher?

I promise I am trying to educate myself as much as possible but there are some things I can't seem to get a grip on. In my head our pool was finally good and beautiful and it was time to start lowering the chlorine....

Thanks!
Alexa

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.