Drilling holes into Metal top rails? Please share your thoughts

67mike

Jul 14, 2015
Canada
Hi All:

Finally installed and got our new 21 foot AGP up and running.......quite a project and learning experience.

We bought a really awesome security ladder that has a lockable roll-up safety sheild,,,,,,,which is great BUT....they want me to drill 2 holes into the top rails (metal) to secure the ladder to the pool (it is a bit wobbly if you aren't careful......so I can see the need.

Also I have not used our solar cover yet because the roller kit I bought wants me to again.....drill holes into the top rail to mount it.

I am trying to figure out a different way to do the roller mount using 4x4 treated lumber as posts outside the pool.....but that has a few questions as well.....I really dont want to dig too close to pool as it will weaken my compacted crusher fine base, etc....

Please help with your advice and experiences. MAny thanks.

PS: what are you using for ant deterrent around the pool????

I used 4x4 posts at the corners of my pool for the solar cover. I use this:

For the ladder I used a 2 hole conduit strap on the outside. I am not sure what the feet of your ladder are like. The feet in the pool lift a little but not terrible.

Reactions: 67mike
I used 4x4 posts at the corners of my pool for the solar cover. I use this:

For the ladder I used a 2 hole conduit strap on the outside. I am not sure what the feet of your ladder are like. The feet in the pool lift a little but not terrible.
Thanks for the great tips

It is looking like I might have to drill the holes for the ladder through the top rail.

Any tips/advice please???????
it should be fine. long ago I had a cheapest version of a Sears pool (good, better, best! mine was the good) and that is how the ladder attached, it never hurt anything. this is a walled pool, right? not a soft side on frames intex type?

it should be fine. long ago I had a cheapest version of a Sears pool (good, better, best! mine was the good) and that is how the ladder attached, it never hurt anything. this is a walled pool, right? not a soft side on frames intex type?
Yes it is a good quality walled AGP.....Metal top rails.....guess I could use clear nail polish to protect the metal in drilled spots?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.