Rick Irons

Aug 23, 2020
SO CAL
I have 2 "drains" on the bottom of my pool. After seeing the photo below (THIS IS NOT MY POOL) I assumer my drains are plumbed the same - 2 drains interconnected that go up toe the skimmer where there is another hole that comes from the pump.
Do these 2 drains on the bottom do anything?? There is no suction at all up in the corresponding hole in the skimmer.
From the photo I just don't understand their function.
There is also no valve in the pool equipment that controls them.
thanks

Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 12.35.25 PM.png

Rick,

You can't feel the suction on a set of main drains, working or not..

Most new pool have the main drains connected back to the equipment pad.. On older pools they connect into the bottom of the skimmer.

To make them work, you need to have a floating diverter valve under the skimmer basket..

Main Drains are not really needed... There are thousands and thousands of pool out there without an operating main drain.

In theory, the main drains take over if the water level falls below the mouth of the skimmer.. But, this is only true of the diverter valve is installed and actually working.

I have two rent house pools that have no operating main drains and I can't think of any reason to try and fix them.. I have owned one for about 15 years, and the other for about 8 years, and they work just fine without a main drain.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the reply. I suppose I was looking for more circulation. Right now the only water being circulated is the top of the pool through the skimmer. I'll try the diverter that goes in the skimmer.
I don't have a "drain to waste" valve either - which seems like it would be helpful

Rick,

If you are trying to mix the water to help with heat differences between the top and bottom of the pool, a working main drain might help.

If you think that a working main drain will help with an algae problem, you might want to think again. Algae is a chemical issue and not a circulation issue.

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.