Draining Your Pool Can Get Your Homeowner's Insurance Canceled

P

poolmagazine

As part of my day job, I'm the Editor of Pool Magazine, a trade publication for the pool & spa industry. This week we were inundated with reports from California homeowners who told us that their insurance policy had been canceled. There were two commonalities among the reports that should be concerning to pool owners.

1) Each of the homeowners who received a notice of non-renewal had recently drained their swimming pool.
2) Each had received notice without an inspector or insurance adjuster ever having set foot on the property. The carrier had cited aerial images in their explanation as to how a determination had been made.

I myself live in a very rural area in Northern California where PG&E is the local utility provider. We are prone to wildfires and earlier this summer I received a notification that PG&E would begin using drones as part of an initiative to help them identify potential wildfire risks. It's clear that insurance carriers are also following suit and using drones to make a liability determination.

I asked a representative with AAA why a drained pool would present a higher liability risk for carriers and she told me that basically, a drained pool represents a gigantic hole in the backyard that insurance companies look at as a much higher risk. It's definitely something pool owners particularly in California need to concern themselves with, especially if they are thinking of draining their pool for any reason. One homeowner I spoke with said their policy was canceled after AAA received images of their pool which was drained for a remodel months earlier.

Draining Pool Costs Elderly Woman Her Homeowners Insurance

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-08-11 at 3.19.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-08-11 at 3.19.21 PM.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 31
IIRC we had a memeber report the same a week or two ago. They were in a race to temp fix whatever tile/wall issues they had so it could be filled asap. Allen was there, maybe he remembers which one it was.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here in SoCal you have to get a permit to drain your pool from either city or county you live in due to water restrictions. So b basically the govt says it’s ok to do it but the insurance companies will punish you for it. Hypocrisy?
Nor cal doesn’t (or didn’t have that restriction). Maybe they’ve added it recently.

I never understood the appeal of AAA insurance. They were always more expensive than every other option.

Which policies are not being renewed? I'm not from California but when I asked about a homeowner's policy and mentioned I would be building a pool I was told the premium difference wasn't significant. Basically the coverage was to cover any damage to the pool itself from storms, acts of God, etc. When I asked about liability from anyone using the pool, that's when she brought up my umbrella policy. And I promptly agreed to increase that coverage.

Reactions: JJ_Tex
I'm sleeping with my agent and she said that whenever there are a large amount of claims in an area an insurance company's risk appetite goes way down and they look for any excuse not to renew you including:
  • Old Roof
  • Raising your wind/hail deductible to 2% or even 3%
  • Convertibles
  • Motorcycles
  • Too many teenage drivers
So I guess you can add pools to the list. Seems silly, but I get that it is a business.

On the flipside she also sees people making silly claims all the time instead of just letting insurance handle the big-ticket items. Umm.. no you do not want to file a claim for a $1,200 car bill when you have a teen driver and $500 deductible. You have a $4,000 home deductible and you really want to file a claim for a $5,000 water leak? Her favorite is the ones that have multiple glass chip repairs from the carwash repairing them for "free" as long as they give them insurance info. Those "free" glass chip repairs just caused your renewal to go up $2k.

• Wow
Reactions: Newdude and JamesW
I'm sleeping with my agent and she said that whenever there are a large amount of claims in an area an insurance company's risk appetite goes way down and they look for any excuse not to renew you including:
  • Old Roof
  • Raising your wind/hail deductible to 2% or even 3%
  • Convertibles
  • Motorcycles
  • Too many teenage drivers
So I guess you can add pools to the list. Seems silly, but I get that it is a business.

On the flipside she also sees people making silly claims all the time instead of just letting insurance handle the big-ticket items. Umm.. no you do not want to file a claim for a $1,200 car bill when you have a teen driver and $500 deductible. You have a $4,000 home deductible and you really want to file a claim for a $5,000 water leak? Her favorite is the ones that have multiple glass chip repairs from the carwash repairing them for "free" as long as they give them insurance info. Those "free" glass chip repairs just caused your renewal to go up $2k.
Yeah, it is called the insurance game. It's also called Capitalism.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.