draining water because of high CYA

Msfish

Oct 29, 2018
Richmond,TX
Hello,
I have been lurking here and I’m finally posting.

I have high CYA 136 in my pool and I need to drain water and refresh. What’s the best way to do that? And how much should I do?

Would it be okay to add water with a hose at the bottom of the deep end while letting excess go out the overflow drain?

My pool 17500g chlorine inground.
Thanks
Giovanna

I would recommend you get a proper test kit prior to making any decisions.
See Test Kits Compared. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

+1 to what mknauss said. Unfortunately it has been and continues to be shown over and over again that pool store testing is horribly unreliable. That's doubly so for any kind of electronic testing as the equipment is rarely properly calibrated and maintained. Pool store owners understand that sales are not improved by having better testing so it's not a priority.

Before making any chemical adjustments, especially major ones like exchanging thousands of gallons of water, it is a very good idea to have reliable and accurate numbers to confirm such an adjustment is required.

I actually ordered the TF-100 today. I do know my cya is high because of multiple test readings from 2 different pool stores as well as my at home strips. As to the exact number I’m unsure.

However, my pool is showing a dull blue/green color. All my other minimal tests that I do with my current Taylor kit shows fairly stable. I’m quite sure I need to remove water. I use tricolor tabs and not much water exchanges have been happening over the summer.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.

I would still wait to exchange until you get your own kit. The CYA may be what they tested, or it may be 200 or 300. If very high, then you need to exchange more water. If you go by the pool store test, you may be doing the exchange multiple times. That is OK if the fill water is very cheap.

100 is the limit of the CYA test, so you have to do a diluted test. Mix 50% pool water with 50% tap water. Use this mixed sample as your test water. Multiply the result by 2 for your CYA level.

PoolMath
If you fill out your signature we can help you with what amount of bleach/liquid chlorine equates to 5ppm FC in your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you add 1 gallon of 10% liquid chlorine it will add 5.7 ppm FC to your pool volume.

I encourage you to try Poolmath.

Wow!! I received my water test kit in one day.

Anyhow, I just tested and here are the results...
pH 7.4
FC 8
CC 0
TC 8
CYA 100
My pool looks cloudy light blue/green. Yes there is some bloom that can be brushed up.
Any thoughts as to my first step.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    667.8 KB · Views: 24
Did you follow the CYA test method I detailed in my earlier post? With a CYA of 100, you need to follow that. Post #7

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.