Draining pool over winter - Normal?

Also you would need to have it tighter for floats to matter underneath. Right now you will just have a small teepee in the middle and the. Have the other 3/4 flat on the water.
Do you think I should drain it a few more inches? I’m waiting for the sun to melt the frost so I can get those leaves off the cover/water ASAP!

If it was solid then I could understand but it’s micro mesh lol. Really nice cover from In The Swim with excellent reviews but I can’t use the clips on my pool since they don’t fit. Top is silver to melt the snow faster and bottom is black to help with the sunlight and help with algae growth. I’m just trying to understand the benefits of keeping it on like this lol

Ok. So typically the only advantage of a mesh cover is if it is tight enough to be off the water that debris blows off it. In order to do that it needs to be staked/tied down to the ground like a tent. And then it lays flat across the top or gets propped up with floats to have a tent like pitch. Yours is laying in the pool like a tarp. WHICH IS OK (so you don’t worry). But the tea water on top of the cover will filter through so you’ll just have to keep it clear of debris. Which again won’t matter soon. When it’s time to replace this cover just get a tarp and you won’t care what sits on top of it because it will be completely separated from the pool water.

And again, anything that makes it through the cover now will settle on the bottom by the time you open. It will vacuum out easily. It won’t make you green unless you open too late.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
And again, anything that makes it through the cover now will settle on the bottom by the time you open. It will vacuum out easily. It won’t make you green unless you open too late.
I’m opening as early as I can and yes I know the cover isn’t supposed to be like this. And it’s brand new so why replace it?

Use it as many years as it lasts. In hindsight you have no deck to use for anchoring. I don’t thinks the clips would have mattered anyway Even with a steel wall ABG they can only withstand so much force before failing. The mesh cover needs to be banjo tight to work well. But it will still keep any particles big enough to see out of the pool so that helps.

It’s whatever. I’ll let it just fall into the pool when it rains tonight since the winds are going to blow it off regardless. I’ll send it back and go uncovered. So sick of this headache! I’m at my wits end.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You dont need more people, you need a dozen somethings applying force downward on the outside of the cover. Sand/water filled chlorine jugs are common go-to. Cinderblocks would work also but i would wrap them in something that could rub on your pool walls. (Pillowcase and tape for example, or old tshirts and shrink wrap). If you have enough weight being appied outside the pool, the cover holds itself tight across the pool.

@RonsPlc had a great example in our previous discussion
Thank you so much for the photo. Super helpful! Sorry if I sounded like I had an attitude lol I was just so annoyed with it but honestly I was more annoyed with my husband! ?? It snowed last night and the top of the pool (and the mesh cover on top of it!) are frozen so I’ll have to wait until tomorrow when it’s above freezing and sunny so we can give this another go. Surprisingly the cover stayed on exactly as shown in the photo after 20 mph winds with gusts up to 35 mph last night so the cable it comes with is obviously pretty strong we just need to get the darn thing more fitted so it’s not on top of the water. Do you think an inflatable float (or pillow) would help? My husband keeps saying no but to me it makes sense to at least get it off the water and maybe it’ll make tightening it easier? I don’t know lol

If you had ‘A’ pillow with that much slack you would still be drooped down around it and in 88% of the rest of the pool. If you can get it relatively tight/flat, a pillow will help that last little bit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.