Draining pool in winter to get ready for new liner??

spf30

Apr 28, 2009
Hanna City, IL
I think I know what the answer will be, but thought I'd check to see if anyone's had luck, etc with this. We know we need a new liner come spring (thought of doing it this fall when the ground is generally drier and don't have to deal with rainy spring delays, but figured why expose a brand new pool liner to winter before even using!), so I wondered what would happen if we completely empty the pool this fall and leave the liner intact until we remove it next spring? The pool has steel sides, but didn't know how much it relies on the water to keep the shape, etc. Don't want it collapsing, but also would be nice not to have to deal with water in it only to have to drain it on what could already be wet ground from heavy rains in spring. Thoughts?

I would avoid leaving an empty pool shell upright- I bet some good winds would love to carry it away. Or it gets bent over time since it doesn't have the liner and water pushing outwards against the frame.

My two cents.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: spf30
Do not drain the pool unless you're putting the liner in and refilling. You risk losing the pool if you leave it empty all winter.

Reactions: spf30
I get the wanting to start new seeing it at its freshest when its brand new, but it will go through several winters either way. It will still look great in the spring if you do it now, statisticslly speaking and barring a freak problem over the winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.