Draining pool and starting fresh, help with fresh water chemistry

If you confirm algae, then you'll have to go into hunting mode. If your pool got re-infected after draining and refilling, then that means algae could be lurking somewhere. You'll need to eradicate hidden algae along with the SLAM, or your pool could just keep getting reinfected.

Reactions: Mdragger88
If you confirm algae, then you'll have to go into hunting mode. If your pool got re-infected after draining and refilling, then that means algae could be lurking somewhere. You'll need to eradicate hidden algae along with the SLAM, or your pool could just keep getting reinfected.
Last night at sunset I tested and calculated how much chlorine to add to SLAM. I applied the correct amount and then tested 30 minutes later. FC was 11.4 and CC .2 ...kept the pump running for 24 hours now. This morning FC 9 and CC .44 .....it's still cloudy. I'm getting annoyed. How am I supposed to SLAM during the day with a CYA 0? I was told not to add CYA at all of I'm using up some trichlor.

Last night at sunset I tested and calculated how much chlorine to add to SLAM. I applied the correct amount and then tested 30 minutes later. FC was 11.4 and CC .2 ...kept the pump running for 24 hours now. This morning FC 9 and CC .44 .....it's still cloudy. I'm getting annoyed. How am I supposed to SLAM during the day with a CYA 0? I was told not to add CYA at all of I'm using up some trichlor.
I won't weigh in about the chemistry, to keep this cook out of that kitchen, so to speak. I just want to help you with the OCLT. The purpose of testing in the evening and then again in the morning, the OCLT, was to determine IF you had algae, and so IF you needed to SLAM. But it sounds like you started your SLAM straight away. That's OK, you just skipped a step (the OCLT). So forget about OCLT for now, and testing for that, and refer to the SLAM directions to complete the SLAM, including the FC testing frequency (how you test for a SLAM, and how often, is different for testing for an OCLT). You do perform an OCLT, to determine when you're done SLAMing, but that will be in the future, not right now. Keep SLAMing, and following the SLAM directions, until you can pass the three "end of SLAM" criteria. You'll find those in the SLAM directions.

I know this can be frustrating, but you'll get there. If I may: read directions carefully, and follow them exactly, don't cheat (or you'll just have to start your SLAM over again). Same goes for posts, especially posts from our TFP Experts. I'm not a TFP Expert, but Marty is (@mknauss). Focus on his instructions, and answer his questions promptly. I think you'll find that will help eliminate some of the confusion and hopefully get all this behind you as soon as possible. Chin up!

If it helps, you have smooth sailing to look forward to. This is the worst of it. Remember, you're still cleaning up someone else's mess. Once you get your pool in "TFP shape," you'll find you only have a bare minimum of things to do, and things to buy. It really will get easier, a whole lot easier...

You should have some CYA visible as initially you put in the liquid CYA stuff, something not adding up here.
I thought I would.
On 2/27 I added 40 oz liquid CYA, half of the recommended 80 oz, per TFP calculator.. Tested 2/28, CYA 0, tested 3/1 CYA 0. I have not tested CYA today. I've been using trichlor pucks, to use them up, since the pool was filled, it's been about a week. I haven't refilled the chlorine floaty.
Now I did need to order a new CYA tube from Amazon. I got it in a GIANT box, with TONS of bubble wrap, and it was STILL cracked.... But I taped it. Would a cracked tube (with the black dot on the bottom) be yielding a false negative?

CYA will test '0' when below 30 ppm. So the small amount of liquid CYA (a gallon would add ~25 ppm CYA if I remember right) and a small amount of trichlor will add up close to 30 ppm. If you have added all the liquid, then use 30 ppm as your CYA level. As you need to SLAM, take the floater with trichlor out. It will mess up your OCLT you need to do when you get to the end of the SLAM.,

In all he only put 40 ounces out of the gallon CYA jug so no surprise why he tested three times and came up with zero. Why couldn't he drop the whole gallon in if as per @mknauss it would barely get hypothetically 25 CYA and then add granular to arrive at the magical 30ish.

Reactions: stinsontx
You need 180 ounces of liquid conditioner to even approach 30ppm, that stuff is worthless. Just my .02. Disclosure, I work for a company that makes a base chemical for cyanuric acid. I don't trust any of the liquid conversion factors that are on those bottles.

Granular and sock to achieve the needed goal for CYA. Don't let it sit there, squeeze the Crud out of it in the sock (with appropriate ppe of course, glasses and gloves) and get it circulating.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Chef, liquid CYA is all sludge-y at the bottom and it's nearly impossible to accurately dose less than a gallon because the concentrated CYA sludge won't come out without swishing it with new water. If you just poured 1/3 of the jug, I bet thats it.

Reactions: stinsontx and Dirk
Chef, liquid CYA is all sludge-y at the bottom and it's nearly impossible to accurately dose less than a gallon because the concentrated CYA sludge won't come out without swishing it with new water. If you just poured 1/3 of the jug, I bet thats it.
That is very likely. The pucks haven't added much of any CYA. Then Chef just mostly poured water off the top of the liquid CYA jug, and all the "real" CYA is still in the jug...

In all he only put 40 ounces out of the gallon CYA jug so no surprise why he tested three times and came up with zero. Why couldn't he drop the whole gallon in if as per @mknauss it would barely get hypothetically 25 CYA and then add granular to arrive at the magical 30ish.
I'm a she.

CYA will test '0' when below 30 ppm. So the small amount of liquid CYA (a gallon would add ~25 ppm CYA if I remember right) and a small amount of trichlor will add up close to 30 ppm. If you have added all the liquid, then use 30 ppm as your CYA level. As you need to SLAM, take the floater with trichlor out. It will mess up your OCLT you need to do when you get to the end of the SLAM.,
Here are my issues:
1. Pool is cloudy.
2. Pop-ups blow dirt around the pool, not into the drain. Everyday I come home and the bottom step is filthy, I sweep it daily.
I have added 40 oz. liquid CYA on Monday. I have five pucks of trichlor floating in the filter.
Tell me what to do and I will do it! I usually don't come on here until after 3pm Arizona time. I work full-time. I will try and respond more quickly. PXL_20220304_001121242.jpg

Add the rest of your liquid CYA.
Remove the pucks.
Follow the SLAM Process based on 30 ppm CYA.

Brush. I am not experienced with your cleaning system. Others are. @proavia
Yesterday my FC was 9ppm. Today my FC is .8. I really don't think there's 30ppm of CYA in my pool. Why isn't it showing up in test results? I'm familiar with the SLAM process. But, if I have less than 30ppm CYA, how am I supposed to SLAM and "maintain"? The sun just eats the chlorine so quickly. I can begin at night, but during the day?

Have you added the entire gallon of liquid CYA?

I suspect you have algae. Typically that is what makes a pool cloudy. Follow the SLAM process. Be sure to lower the pH to 7.2, if necessary. And plan to test FC and add liquid chlorine every couple hours to start.

Have you added the entire gallon of liquid CYA?

I suspect you have algae. Typically that is what makes a pool cloudy. Follow the SLAM process. Be sure to lower the pH to 7.2, if necessary. And plan to test FC and add liquid chlorine every couple hours to start.
Ok. Sounds like a day off project. I will begin Sunday and report back. Thanks!

It will likely take multiple days. But adding chlorine should slow down after the first couple days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.