Draining pool and starting fresh, help with fresh water chemistry

I have five pucks of trichlor floating in the filter.
I know there are a lot of us throwing a lot of things at you. Me as bad as anyone. Aren't we helpful!! ;) Work with Marty on the SLAM. He's advised you to remove the pucks from the pool. Do that. You mentioned earlier that you had the pucks in a floater. I believe that is the preferred method. But just now you wrote you have them in the filter. Did you mean you have them in the skimmer? I've never used pucks in my pool, but I'm pretty sure I read here that having them in the skimmer is bad. They are acidic, and as they dissolve, all that acid is not good for the skimmer or the pipes. Take them out for now, and if you use them again in the future, don't put them in the skimmer, use a floater. Others here will correct me if I'm remembering that wrong...

Reactions: Mdragger88
  1. It's your pool and at the end of the day, it's your decision how you choose to maintain it. We are here to help you get (and keep) a trouble free pool at a low cost and with a little bit of effort - but only if you follow the advice given. Trying to mix our advice and that of a pool store will lead to additional frustration and certain failure.
  2. Most members here really do know what they are talking about - especially @mknauss and @Dirk - along with many, many others. It really is in your best interests to heed their advice if you really want to get the pool back in control.
  3. Fill out your signature with your pool and pool equipment info (including manufacturer and model numbers) - include your test kit model numbers. No one is going to review 4 pages in a thread to see what your pool, equipment and testkit is. And after asking a few times, they will get tired of asking and stop responding.
  4. Add the ENTIRE gallon of liquid stabilizer - do it NOW. It's been suggested numerous times.
  5. Start the SLAM Process - NOW. It is NOT a one time deal and can take multiple days to a few weeks based on how much algae you have and how often you dose with liquid chlorine - along with how often and accurate your testing is. It takes effort, but the end result is well worth it. If you wait until Sunday, you will be even further behind than you already are - and it will take longer to clear.
  6. Take the floater with the pucks/tabs OUT OF THE POOL ---- NOW. Again, it's been suggested multiple times. Keep them out of the pool, skimmer or anywhere else they could come into contact with the pool water. Save them, they may come in handy if you need to add a little CYA or if you are away from the pool for a few days.
  7. Brush the entire pool (not just where you see dirt) at least once a day - twice a day would be better.
  8. If there is dirt and/or algae that has settled on the pool floor, it will blow around. That's the nature of the beast with an infloor cleaning system. It can take quite a while to get all that debris to the main drain and out of the pool. If the pool is really dirty, the IFCS will take longer to get the pool clean than using a manual vacuum or another type of pool cleaner.
  9. It didn't take one day for your pool to get in this condition. Don't expect it to take one day to get the water crystal clear.
  10. Don't lose hope. The TFP method really does work. After your pool is clear and algae free, if you test and dose appropriately, it becomes much easy to maintain and takes very little time.
Do you have liquid chlorine on hand? How much?
Did you order new reagents yet? You can't accurately test with old reagents.

It will likely take multiple days. But adding chlorine should slow down after the first couple day

I know there are a lot of us throwing a lot of things at you. Me as bad as anyone. Aren't we helpful!! ;) Work with Marty on the SLAM. He's advised you to remove the pucks from the pool. Do that. You mentioned earlier that you had the pucks in a floater. I believe that is the preferred method. But just now you wrote you have them in the filter. Did you mean you have them in the skimmer? I've never used pucks in my pool, but I'm pretty sure I read here that having them in the skimmer is bad. They are acidic, and as they dissolve, all that acid is not good for the skimmer or the pipes. Take them out for now, and if you use them again in the future, don't put them in the skimmer, use a floater. Others here will correct me if I'm remembering that wrong...
It may have been a typo. I've never had pucks in the skimmer. They're always in the floaty thing. But thanks for the advice!

Reactions: Mdragger88 and Dirk
If you haven't added the rest of your liquid CYA yet, puhpuhpuhpleeeeze read my previous post. I don't want the same thing to happen to you!

So I emptied the remaining liquid CYA goo into the skimmer on Friday. In the rain. Lol! I didn't bother testing until today. Finally it's showing 30ppm CYA! I've been SLAMing since Sunday morning. And playing with the pool filter/pump. It's too high tech for me. So I'm seeking out someone to come and show me how it works. As of now, I'm not seeing a big improvement in the clarity of the water. It's also super windy today which just added debris to the pool (facepalm). I just have a feeling it isn't the chemicals but the pool equipment....

Greetings. I'm in the Arizona desert and am not new to pool water chemistry. We've recently moved and have experienced one summer in our new house.

We have a smallish sized play pool, 4', 6', 5' deep. I have no idea how many gallons it is.

I do know the pool water is old and probably filled with CYA, and thus, no amount of chlorine or SLAMing will clear up the algae.

We are totally draining the pool, as I type this. With that being said, last summer, I was unable to find liquid chlorine in Peoria. I had to use pucks. Ugh. I'm going to make a trip to Lowe's shortly for chemicals.

When balancing fresh water, should I add CYA at all if I intend to use the awful chlorine pucks?
I live in your area, and Home Depot has liquid chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.