Drained the pool. Now what?

Twistedmamax2

May 13, 2019
Alabaster Alabama
My above ground pool has been uncovered and unused for two years. I hired someone to drain the pool and clean it. I refilled the pool only to discover the pump wasn't working. So the pool has sat full with no chemicals and no pump running for over 7 days. The pump has been repaired and runs fine but now I see signs of green around the outer edges on the bottom of the pool. Do I test anything now or just start adding the normal chemicals and then test? Do I SLAM the pool? I would assume so since I see signs of algae. There is currently no CYA so would I need to add that initially and let it stabalize before adding/testing anything else?

24" ABG
1.5 Hayward Power-Flo Matrix
Sand Filter
Total Poolcare DPD Test Kit from Leslie's

Welcome to the forum!
You will want to SLAM Process the pool water. You will need a proper test kit to do that. The kit you have will not test FC/CC with accuracy. You need a FAS-DPD test kit for that.
As this is a fresh fill, add 30 ppm worth of CYA and add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine each evening until you get your FAS-DPD test kit.
Test your pH and TA now to see if pH needs adjustment.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.