Drained and cleaned pool...

svtcobra

Dec 3, 2019
Chicago, IL
With the help of a pool company (which are great folks) I'm in the process of refilling it.

They guessimated the pool is 30,000 gallons.

My question is it ok to leave the hose on for about 48 hours when I'm on well water? This is the first house I owned with well water so I was curious to know if I could burn out the pump from leaving it on constantly.

Attachments

• 20200621_182049.jpg
    20200621_182049.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 30
  • 20200621_185127.jpg
    20200621_185127.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 27
OK, my concern is that when chlorine is added to water with iron (not sure of the required concentration) it causes the iron to oxidize, which can create nasty yellow/brown water and cause staining. This also consumes some of the chlorine you are counting on to sanitize your pool. The usual solution is polyfill in the fill line or skimmer to absorb the oxidized iron out of the water.

Reactions: svtcobra
OK, my concern is that when chlorine is added to water with iron (not sure of the required concentration) it causes the iron to oxidize, which can create nasty yellow/brown water and cause staining. This also consumes some of the chlorine you are counting on to sanitize your pool. The usual solution is polyfill in the fill line or skimmer to absorb the oxidized iron out of the water.
The pool company put something in the water...looks like a bottle water( taped to the hose) to help with the iron. Just can't read the name or recall what they said about it. Hopefully that will help?

I don't know about iron, typically they tape an empty water bottle to the end of the hose so that the hose floats up as you are filling the pool, so it doesn't channel new plaster.

What type of pool and filter do you have? Please fill out your signature so we can better help you. Looks like a Plaster pool. They may have added a sequestrant to bind the iron, and if they have experience with the water in the area, that may be what they did. General rule here is, never add anything to the water if you don't know what it does.

Here's the bottle... I'm not even sure what type of pool filter I have or where to even find it to be honest with you this is the main reason I'm having a pool company out here to educate me which they plan on stopping by tomorrow once the water is higher and then we are going to test the equipment. I'll be sure to ask him for all the information and will update my signature. Thanks for reminding me. I also bought the TF100 kit suggested on here so I have that ready to go.

Attachments

• 20200622_130714.jpg
    20200622_130714.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 28

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It looks like that is a stain remover mixed with a sequestrant. Do some research on this site for solutions to iron in fill water. If you are topping up from a well that has iron dissolved in the water, you will have to have some sort of ongoing method to deal with the iron. This is usually some sort of poly fill method to filter the iron oxide or a continuing treatment with a sequestrant. if you have any questions, feel free to ask, somebody here will have an answer.

It looks like that is a stain remover mixed with a sequestrant. Do some research on this site for solutions to iron in fill water. If you are topping up from a well that has iron dissolved in the water, you will have to have some sort of ongoing method to deal with the iron. This is usually some sort of poly fill method to filter the iron oxide or a continuing treatment with a sequestrant. if you have any questions, feel free to ask, somebody here will have an answer.

thanks for this information so quick question I've been running the spigot for over 24 hours and today I noticed some water drops in the basement then I looked up at the ceiling and the copper pipe which is running to the outdoor spigot to fill the pool is completely filled with condensation and is dripping in numerous places.

it's a very humid day here in the Chicagoland area and it's hot so I suppose there's no way around this right?

thanks for this information so quick question I've been running the spigot for over 24 hours and today I noticed some water drops in the basement then I looked up at the ceiling and the copper pipe which is running to the outdoor spigot to fill the pool is completely filled with condensation and is dripping in numerous places.

it's a very humid day here in the Chicagoland area and it's hot so I suppose there's no way around this right?
That's normal. You have cold groundwater (well) plus humid air which equals condensation on the pipes. Same as you would would get on the outside of a glass of ice water.

That's normal. You have cold groundwater (well) plus humid air which equals condensation on the pipes. Same as you would would get on the outside of a glass of ice water.
Whew that was relief...The only downside is the spigot pipe that was dripping in the house is all drywalled in the ceiling.

I'm sure I'll find some mold in there from the previous owner. luckily I figured out there was another spigot on the side of the house which also goes through some drywall but as much. It was for a sprinkler system.

Hopefully tomorrow will be able to turn on the pool system and see how things fare from there

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.